I accidentally bent my ear while changing. It is two weeks after my surgery, should I be concerned?

Accidental Trauma to ear after otoplasty

+1

If there is no change in the appearance of your ear and no bleeding occurred then it is less likely that serious damage occurred. When in doubt I always recommend that you return to your surgeon for evaluation.

Ear trauma two weeks after otoplasty

+1

The main risk of ear trauma soon after otoplasty involves tearing the sutures that are used to create a new shape of the auricle.  If trauma happens late after the procedure (6 months or later), there should be enough fibrosis around the cartilage to maintain the shape of the cartilage unchanged.  Tearing the suture 2 weeks after otoplasty may result in unfolding the cartilage or in the ear becoming more protruding. If you don't see any acute changes in the shape of the ear now, then you have a good chance that nothing happened to the sutures.  In any case, let your surgeon know about the incident and continue the follow up.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Bending Ear After Otoplasty

+1

Most otoplasty techniques involve some type of sutures.  The main issue with bending the ear is that sutures used to hold the ear back against the head could be potentially torn if this was aggressively done.  In addition, sutures to recreate the antihelix could be torn but are less likely to do so.  The ramification can be the need for a touch up procedure on your ear if it sticks out further than the other ear.  See your surgeon and reevaluate critically at 6 months to see.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon