Otoplasty 2 Weeks Ago: Have a Hole on the Front of my Ear and a Suture Poking out of the Top, Are They Infected? (photo)

My left ear has what I can only describe as a hole on the anti helix/concha, it scabs over but when I shower comes off, its red and swollen and I clean it twice a day as its just started to produce discharge. At the top of my ear, behind the helix, is a suture sticking out about a centimetre, looked earlier and surrounding it was a pus filled spot, again this is also swollen and hurts to the touch. Could this be suture extrusion? Should I go see my surgeon due to infection or will both be okay?

Problem after an otoplasty - possible infected suture knot

+2

If there were no incisions made in this area to reduce the size of your concha then this is most likely an infected suture knot.  You should not delay having this examined and properly cared for prior to having a bigger problem.  

2 weeks post op otoplasty with a hole?

+1

I hope you have already seen your surgeon as this is not expected and problems can develop if unchecked..

Hole in front of ear after otoplasty | ear pinning | ear plastic surgery

+1

This could be a suture that is having some issues. I would definitely return to my surgeon to have him look at it. All you would have to do is remove and do really careful cleaning to avoid healing issues.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Suture

+1

These represent extruding and/or infected sutures.  You should see your surgeon immediately. 

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Postoperative Questions

+1

The pictures are not of sufficient quality to comment on either of you questions.  I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with your operating surgeon.  He or she knows the specifics of your original procedure and therefore provides the best resource when discussing the results of your surgery.

Otoplasty suture

+1

Thanks for these questions. You should check with your surgeon about suture removal. It is not necessarily infected. In many cases the suture is permanent and exposure of such a stitch should be removed. Good luck!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Suture extruding after otoplasty

+1
You should go see your surgeon. It does sound like you have a suture extruding. It may need to be removed.
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon