Otoplasty Uneven Post Op 1 Year?

I had otoplasty about a year ago, and I was happy with the results for about 4 months. Then however, it seemed that one ear was progressively starting to protrude again.The protrusion is only at the top 1/3 portion of the ear, with the middle and bottom the same in both ears however. The projection of the top of the ears is 20cm in one and 25 cm in the other. Should I consider getting a revision on the one ear at 25 cm to bring it back to 20cm, or is this to precise for a surgeon to correct?

Asymmetry After Otoplasty

+1

It is best to discuss with your surgeon the approach to adjust asymmetry.  A minor asymmetry can be a relatively quick fix with local anesthesia and possibly a suture or two to provide improved balance.  

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear Shape Relapse: Treatment Options Following Otoplasty

+1

In the months following otoplasty, there is a stabilization of the cartilage and ear position.  Certainly by a year following surgery, the final position of the ear has been determined.  If one ear has become more prominent, especially in the uppper third of the ear, a revision may be beneficial.  Relapse of ear shape is most common in the upper portion of the ear where the cartilage shape is held by permanent sutures.  The sutures either become loose or the cartilage has too much resistance and spring to be held by these sutures and the sutures pull through the cartilage.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Otoplasty Revision For Symmetry

+1

I believe you mean mms and not cms. Ears and the cartilage reshaping done can relax after surgery which is why they eventually have showed a difference in their protrusion. At one year after surgery, there will be no more change and your result is stable. Only an adjustment at this point can being them back more into symmetric alignment and it is likely that just one cartilage suture will suffice.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Get it Fixed!

+1

Now that you are one year out from your otoplasty, it is safe to revise the offending side and work toward better symmetry with an experienced Cosmetic Surgeon.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Otoplasty

+1

Without an examination, it is difficult to give you good advice.  Sometimes, a minimal difference is not worth returning to the operating room and taking the risks of surgery.  Talk to your surgeon and see what advice he/she has for you.

Reision otoplasty

+1

A picture would help.  A revision is possible and may help. I would suggest talking to your doctor and/or get another consult.

Talmage J. Raine, MD