Otoplasty slight asymmetry or swelling?

I had otoplasty 10 days ago. Doctor used dissolvable stitches and didn't have to remove extra cartilage. Problem is that on the left ear the antihelix and the pinna are much more defined and prominent than the right. Is that because of swelling or it will be like this forever? If it's from swelling how long it will take it to subside totally?Also the doctor said there is gonna be some slight rebound and the ear will slightly move more out. Thank you

Otoplasty Recovery

+1

10 days post op is much to early to truly evaluate the aesthetic success of your procedure.  The discrepancies which you are experiencing are most likely due to edema(swelling) which is expected.  I would suggest you wait at least 3 months to evaluate the architecture of your new ears.  At this time, if there is a large discrepancy, you can discuss revisional procedures with your surgeon.  Good Luck

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early otoplasty results: too early to call

+1

Swelling sometimes does take some time to subside. However, usually swelling results in a blunting of features. If the left ear antihelix looks more defined, it probably isn't swelling that is causing this. Could it be that the right antihelix appears less defined because there is actually more swelling in the right ear? In any regards, 10 days is a bit early to determine final outcome. Most importantly, the ears ideally should look fairly symmetric on frontal view (do the tops of the ears look about the same distance from the head?) if a bilateral otoplasty was performed. However, perfect symmetry is difficult--if not impossible--to achieve. Yes, there is about a 15-30% relaxation of the antihelix before stabilizing to its final appearance (assuming that a Mustarde-type otoplasty was peformed).

C.W. David Chang, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slight asymmetry after otoplasty

+1

It is difficult to know whether the asymmetry will persist after the early healing period has ended. I would give it a good month before making any assessments. If there is still asymmetry, discuss this with your surgeon. Occasionally, ears have to have slight readjustments due to loss of correction. This is more common in adults who have stronger ear cartilage that has greater resistance to surgical changes.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon