Otoplasty scar 1 month post op, should I be concerned? (photo)

This is one of my scars 1 month post op. Kind of concerned but there is no way to go back to the surgeon right now. Foreign country. Should I consult with a different surgeon here in USA?

Scar after otoplasty

+2
I would say that your scar does appear a bit larger than I would like to see one month after otoplasty.  The scar should improve with more time but I would recommend seeing someone now because it is possible that a steroid injection could help to heal the scar better.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty scar 1 month post op, should I be concerned?

+2
Hello usuthuindun,
Scars are, if the ears are pinned with the traditional method, usual on the back of the ear as the ears are cut and opened here. These scars can be avoided only with the new stitch method. Unfortunately, I get the impression that this scar has a tendency to develop into a keloid, i.e. excessive scar formation usually due to hereditary factors. You should first wait till at least 3 months have passed since the operation and then post new photos.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Scar

+2
It is difficult to be sure from the photo, but the scar does seem to be more prominent than one would like.  However it is still very early in the scar's maturation process.  It is likely that it will improve with time and massage.   It would be unlikely that anyone would recommend scar revision at this early stage, but I would suggest you see a US plastic surgeon just to make sure that there is nothing else going on that might require earlier intervention.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty scars

+1
This looks like a hypertrophic scar which is somewhere between normal and a keloid. I agree with the other answers in that steroid injections, silicone sheeting, or other scar remedies might be warranted. Find a Plastic Surgeon or a Derm in your area, they should be able to help out.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Scarring after otoplasty or ear surgery

+1
that does look like a hypertrophic scar that needs attention.  An injection with Kenalog possibly mixed with 5 fluorouracil would be in order.  U definitely should have that monitored although I think over the long run U will probably be fine but getting that scar to be less visible could be a challenge.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty scar and a consult is recommended

+1
Dear Usuthuinduna7

Thank you for the photo
  • As with any surgery, i would recommend a followup consult with a surgeon 
  • The potential for keloid or hypertrophic scarring behind the ear can be related to a variety a factors. 
  • I agree with the other posts regarding possible steroid injections and other scar treatments. 
Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty scar 1 month post-op

+1
Dear Usuthuinduna7,

With this kind of scar, I would recommend starting steroid injection along with putting on silicone gel sheet regularly right away. This will do you good as it will help control its formation and is relatively safe.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon