Otoplasty Revision, Cartilage Graft or MEDPOR? Doctor Recommendations? (photo)

unilateral-otoplasty 2 months ago conchal setback. I didnt do enough research prior to surgery, and now realize that my ear needed work on the anithelical fold, conchal bowls were the same prior to surgery. I didnt know it before but my surgeon wasnt board certified in plastic surgery. Im looking for advice on who can repair the damage to my conchal bowl. What doctors specialize in this type of thing? Is this reversable? What should be used, MEDPOR or a graft? When can i have a revision?

Otoplasty revision

+1

Thank you for your question. Plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons can do this surgery. Is it reversible; yes the problem can be corrected with cartilage graft borrowed from the other ear. I do not use synthetic material a and especially in your case. The best time to have revision is after 9-12 months when the swelling and scarring have subsided.

Otoplasty Revision

+1

Hi,

It looks like you had cartilage removed from the antihelical fold on the left side. If that is the case you could try to repair this by borrowing conchal cartilage from the right side and placing it on the left. Also, any permanent sutures should be removed on the left side.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Otoplasty problems

+1

I assume one of your ears was protruding more so than the other, that is why unilateral conchal setback was performed. This is done not to correct the size of the conchal bowl, but to bring the auricle closer to the head. Unfortunately, you did not provide a good frontal view photo to assess the symmetry of the auricles.

Your antihelical folds seem slightly widened on both sides.  While it is possible to correct this during otoplasty, I don't really think that it was necessary in your case since it is not that noticeable.  Please remember that no two ears are totally symmetric, and the slight auricular asymmetry or a deviation from norm is usually never noticed by an observer. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Otoplasty revision.

+1

I like cartilage or in some cases soft tissue instead of Medpor since the chance of infection is less. Wait at least 3-4 months to do this.