Otoplasty Revision Was a Failure?

I underwent my first otoplasty procedure 3 years ago and the results were satisfactory, I was able to put my hair up and feel confident. After my pregnancy last year I noticed my ears slowly started protruding and finally reached their original protruding position. I received a revision 3 months ago (my cartilage was thick before but this is no longer the case) and now my ears have been protruding since 2 weeks after! Can anyone tell me why this happened and if another revision is possible??

Relapse of protrusion 2 weeks after revision otoplasty

+1

2 weeks is a little early. But this could be swelling that when resolved your ears will be more medialized and pinned back. After wating for at least 3-6 months, you can start thinking about another revision. Sometimes surgeons for otoplasty use sutures to pin the ears back when really you need to weaken the cartilage enough so that the ear will want to stay in the more pinned back position.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends on How it was Performed

+1

Only the surgeon that performed your operation of why you are suffering relapse.  There are several ways to perform an otoplasty thus unless you know what technique that was used then you can't speculate what possibly went wrong

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Otoplasty Revision Was a Failure?

+1

Although scar tissue and previous maneuvers will impact the final result, a revision can probably produce an improvement.  However, only pictures or an exam would give any real insight into this issue.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA