Otoplasty Revision After 1.5yrs, Can It Be Done Under Local Anesthesia?

I did otoplasty 1.5yrs ago and I want a minor further pinning back by 0.5cm. Is this easy to be done? Can it be done with local anesthesia?

Otoplasty revision can be done under local anesthesia

+2

Revision otoplasty can certainly be done under local anesthesia on one or both ears.  First the ears are numbed with a local anesthetic, then revision surgery through an incision behind the ears is performed to pin one or both of the ears back so that they appear normal.  General anesthesia is unnecessary for this procedure.

Otoplasty revision under local anesthesia

+1

Dear Patient, An otoplasty revision can most likely be done under local anesthesia, however to determine that factor, you should consult with your physician. 

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty revision

+1

There are many different techniques for otoplasty and without being able to see photos, I cannot make a recommendation on which one might be of benefit for you. However, it should be able to be accomplished under local anesthesia without any problem.  The ear numbs up quite easily so this should not be difficult..

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Otoplasty Under Local

+1

Yes – Otoplasty procedures can be done under local if the patient feels comfortable. Are you going to see the same surgeon? If so, you would want to have this discussion with him/her. If not, I would have a few consultations with other surgeons and discuss your concerns and goals.
Best of luck to you!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty under local anesthesia

+1

Absolutely!  Heck, your first surgery could have been done under local anesthesia.  You'll be just fine.  Get a couple of consults first.

Dr. Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty under local

+1

Sure it can.  Most adult otoplasties that I perform are under local anesthesia since the ear is easily numbed with lidocaine.  Childern usually have to be a sleep for the procedure.  Some picures of your ears would help for the discussion.  Good Luck!

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+1

Yes, otoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia on the right patients.  If you post before and after pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

I prefer IV-sedation or general anesthetic for revision Otoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern. A photo would be helpful, and you may want to re-ask your question with a photo.

In general, if you want the top of your ear 5mm closer to your head, you would need to have your incision behind your ear opened, and the entire back surface of your ear exposed. My personal preference is to offer local anesthetic with IV-sedation so my patients remain comfortable throughout the procedure.

Good luck.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ottoplasty

+1

Ottoplasty can easily be done under local anesthesia.

You need to tolerate the injection of the local anesthetic around the ears. You may have oral medication to make the experience a little more pleasant.

Otoplasty Revision Anesthesia?

+1

Yes, otoplasty can be ( and in my practice usually is) done  under local anesthesia.