Otoplasty Results, Protruding Cartilage?

Hi, I had an otoplasty operation around 7 weeks ago . I have a piece of cartilage that "spikes" out on one side. I don't think there is any swelling as there has been no improvement in this area in the past few weeks. It is made of hard cartilage and is called the antitragus from he pictures I have viewed. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to remove, lessen the protrusion or reshape this area as it has a very uneven appearance at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ben

Antitragus Issues after Ear Pinning Surgery

+1

Please post a few pictures as this would give us an opportunity to give better advice.    A sharp edge can usually be improved unless this was part of the conchal resection.  Kenneth Hughes, MD ear pinning surgery Los Angeles, CA

Protruding Cartilage after Otoplasty

+1

At 7 weeks, it is possible that you are still healing and swelling may be a factor here. However, it is difficult to assess without seeing photos. I would suggest making a follow up appointment with your surgeon to discuss possible options. If it is cartilage, it should be possible to remove, but again, this is difficult to say without seeing photos and further assessing the area. Revisions of otoplasties can often be more difficult than the original procedure. Good luck.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.