Otoplasty Recovery. Protruding After Dressings Removal?

I had otoplasty 1 week ago. I wore a dressing all week, which was removed today and I'm now wearing a sports head-band, which I've been told to wear at night for the next 4-6 weeks. The sutures are still in place and I presume they'll dissolve soon. When I removed the dressing the ears look great, however after a few minutes the left ear protrudes slightly more than the right, which was never the case before surgery. Will wearing the head-band correct this whilst the ears are still healing?

Asymmetry One Week After Otoplasty

+1

I completely understand your concern.  I am sure you have lived so many years with ears that stuck so much out and you did not like their appearance.  Now you have gone through surgery and a week of recovery, and you want it all over with.  Unfortunately, nature's healing of an injured area is to make it swell.  Your plastic surgeon has given you a post operative regiment to follow.  I would follow it to the "T".  You trusted him or her with your life and your looks.  You need to just trust a little while longer and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  Even a few millimeters difference is frustrating, but this amount of final asymmetry is completely normal, so keep a positive attitude and give time, time.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

It is too soon to evaluate the final otoplasty result at one week - please be patient

+1

It is too soon to evaluate the final otoplasty result at one week - please be patient. There can be asymmetric swelling behind the ears that can distort the actual result. If one side has more swelling it will actually push that ear out. I would suggest you discuss these concerns with your surgeon but continue with your post-operative regimen and wear the head band. A small amount of asymmetry is the rule after otoplasty. The result is never "perfect" but is usually a huge improvement over the shape and protrusion of the ears that existed before surgery.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early otoplasty results

+1

As with any surgery it is often hard to see changes when swelling is present.  I typically perform otoplasty in an office setting.  I immediately show patients their result so that they can see how the ear will look, albeit with early swelling.  Most otoplasty patients look pretty good within a few days, but it takes 3-6 months to see many of the subtle changes and swelling to subside.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Recovery

+1

At this point in your recovery, it is too soon to evaluate the final results.  You may find that both ears may change during the next few weeks-months.

I would recommend that you do not evaluate things on a day to day basis as this may cause anxiety.

Keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon.

Oto

+1

Otoplasty results change after the dressings are removed.  I always photograph my immediate post-operative results to show them.  This eliminates the wait and worry syndrome after surgery.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ears are Different

+1

I doubt that there was perfect symmetry prior to surgery and am quite certain that it will not exist after surgery either.  You still have swelling so be patient.  After 6-8 weeks you will have a much better idea about the final outcome.  The headband is for protection and will not change the final appearance of the ears.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon