An otoplasty question (Photo)

Hi, I had an otoplasty on Tuesday, like 4 days from now, but the "swelling" behind my ears are not subsiding. They are soft, should I wait for it to go away, or is it smth serious? Thx

Concerning swelling after otoplasty

Based on the photographs, the swelling is not what we normally see following otoplasty and may represent a collection of fluid or blood within the area where the surgery was performed.

I would definitely recommend seeing your plastic surgeon as soon as possible so he or she can perform an appropriate physical exam and treat you as needed.

Otoplasty Question

The swelling seems normal and standard to the period of time you have had your surgery swelling takes some time to subside everything looks normal, but it would be good also if you went with your plastic surgeon just so he can revise you and see if recommends anything else to help with the swelling and overall so you are more at ease.

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Abnormal or Extensive Swelling After Otoplasty

Patients can develop significant swelling after otoplasty. However, the ear shape should look relatively normal, just very swollen. The photographs you provided do not demonstrate a normal contour to me. It appears that you have significant swelling behind the ears, likely representing a collection of fluid or blood. I would recommend that you contact your surgeon as soon as possible for evaluation and to discuss treatment. Needle aspiration may be sufficient, followed by compression. If seromas or hematomas are left untreated, they could lead to cartilage necrosis or cauliflower ear. Best wishes.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

You should show your concerns after otoplasty surgery to your surgeon as soon as possible.

You may have a collection of fluid or blood between the skin and cartilage behind your ears. If that is the case, you may benefit from drainage to prevent ear-cartilage necrosis. Please consult your surgeon for evaluation as soon as possible.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Normal Swelling

What you are experiencing is normal swelling. It takes several weeks for swelling to subside and to see your final results. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD