Otoplasty post op 3 weeks. Is this normal scarring or keloid? (Photo)

Its been 3 weeks since my otoplasty. Is the picture considered normal scarring or keloid?

Otoplasty post op 3 weeks. Is this normal scarring or keloid?

+2
Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to accurate diagnosis but at this point, it is very likely that the raised area that you are concerned about is simply eversion of the skin edges. These areas go on to flatten out over the course of the next several weeks. Best wishes; hopefully, you will be pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure performed.

SCARS AFTER OTOPLASTY

+1
At 3 weeks, it is nearly impossible to determine if abnormal scarring is present.  Keloid scarring can occur several months from the procedure date.  Most likely, this is either hypertrophic scarring or normal wound healing with some swelling and/or redundancy of the skin.  You should reassess with your surgeon in several weeks to monitor your progress.

Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
I can’t see any keloids in the photo. After 3 weeks, one can’t say definitively yet how the scar will look. You should wait 2 to 3 months and then post new photos.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon