Im 28 y.o. & I finally got otoplasty on Fri 7/6. The dr said he only stitched them back, but didn't remove any cartilage. I went in the next day & was really sad when my ears looked like they were sticking out MORE than when I went in! They were very swollen, but even then, how is it possible? if they look like that now, does that mean I'm going to have to get them redone if I want them closer to my head? how long should I wait to revise? arent they only going to spring back out more with time?
Otoplasty Post Op Results Looks Worse Than Before?
Doctor Answers (5)
Early Otoplasty Results
One of the downsides to having otoplasty under general anesthesia is that the ears tend to swell more and that you can not see your result until the next day at the earliest. I like doing otoplasty under local anesthesia so that I can show patients how their ears will look (albeit it with some swelling on board). They tell me this makes the postoperative period easier. There is less vasodilation with local anesthesia in comparison to general anesthesia.
In your case, you should wait for 3-6 months and if your result is different not your goal, meet with your surgeon and discuss treatment options.
Concerned about Otoplasty Results?
Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, I would suggest that you continue to have confidence, patience, and continue to follow-up with him. At this stage in your recovery, it is much too early to evaluate the results of surgery. It is also therefore too early to contemplate revisionary surgery. I would suggest that you wait at least 3 to 6 month before making such an evaluation.
"Worse than before" is quite disturbing! You are swollen, so wait six months. Then, if you persist with the "telephone ear deformity," see a Cosmetic Surgeon.
You might also like...
There are several causes of prominent ears.
1: Increased distance of the ear from the scalp
2: non developed anti helix
3: deep Concha
4: combination of the above
Treatment should be directed to the cause and any of the above components must be corrected
Wait till all swelling is gone then make a decision.