Do You Know if Otoplasty Can Be Performed with Only 1 Cm Scar Behind the Ears? (photo)

I'm a 35-year-old italian man and will be doing a bilateral otoplasty next Autumn 2012. As you can see from the enclosed pics my ears are not much protruding, only the upper parts have to be corrected (pinned back) as i assume that the base is fine. I have consulted many surgeons (also foreigners) via email and one of them uses a very unaggressive combination of 3 methods with only 1 cm scar behind the ears using marsilene sutures remaining threads under the skin to fix the cartilage.

Otoplasty incision

+2

The otoplasty incision involves a 3 cm incision behind the ears and involves creating a fold in ear and placement of multiple sutures in the postauricular portion of the ear.  The placement of the incision heals quite well.

1 cm Otoplasty Is Possible But Will It Selectively Cure The Protrusion Of Your Upper Ear?

+2

Thank you very much for your question and pictures.  There are many ways to skin a cat and many ways to do an otoplasty. 

Your earlobe and the middle portion of your ear appear completely normal, and only the top of ear appear to be protruding.  Rather than operating from behind the ear, you can do a 15 minute procedure called an anterior otoplasty.  It was first described by Bernie Kay, M.D. of Florida.  This procedure folds the skin on the anterior of the ear downward.  It uses a combination of the Stenstrom procedure which scores the front of the cartilage with a Mustarde stitch.  This will give you a better antihelical fold, and it will also selectively move the top of your ear closer to your head.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Incision Behind Ears for Otoplasty?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You will find that there are many ways to treat prominent ears.  I would suggest that you select your plastic surgeon carefully and allow him to use whatever technique/approach/incision that works best in his/her hands.  Generally speaking, smaller incisions are possible if a smaller area needs to be worked upon.  

Otoplasty can be performed through a small incision

+1

It would appear that only the top third of you ear is protruding.  Since the remainder of the ear is normal, an otoplasty could be performed through a relatively small incision.  Mustarde sutures can be placed to bring the top of the ear closer your head. 

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon