Otoplasty: Will my Outer Helix Relax over Time? (photo)

Hi, it's one week post-op and I'm happy with my recovery as well as symmetry. Problem is my ear prior to this had a malformed antihelix since birth which made my ears really prominent. My surgeon thus created the antihelix fold but now the midsection of the helical rim has been pushed beck behind the antihelix, giving it an awkward look. Bearing in mind my ears are still stiff and numb and it's only a week, do you think the natural healing and 'rebound' has me covered. Will it self-correct?

One week post otoplasty

+2

is too early to judge what results you will have.  There will be some relaxation that will occur over time and you need to be patient at this time.  You should voice your concerns to your surgeon and give her/him the opportunity to reassure you.  And if it doesn't relax enough, there are revisions that can always be done so you want to find out what your surgeon's policy is while you're at it.

Will Ears Relax after Otoplasty Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the otoplasty procedure. Despite best intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with an accurate prediction of exactly how much you should expect the "helix to relax with time".  Unfortunately,  this is one of those situations where only time will tell.  This process may take several months to occur;  in the meantime continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource.