Otoplasty: Are my Early Results Normal? Will Asymmetry Resolve? (photo)

It has been 5 days since I had otoplasty. However, I have some concerns which, while I have recently emailed my surgeon regarding, am desperate to receive further professional feedback on. My surgeon advised me head dressing was not needed 24hours after surgery, but I've been wearing a sports band 24hrs a day, having read about cartlidge "memory". When i take the band off, my ears look great, but after a while, the top of the right one seems to stick out. Can this be caused by swelling?

Otoplasty Surgery Results

Thank you for your question and photo.

Since you are so early in the recovery process, I would ask that you allow things to heal and the swelling to subside to evaluate the final results. If a 3 to 6 months post op the superior aspect of the ear remains relatively prominent, you may benefit from revisionary surgery.

I would suggest continued relocation with your plastic surgeon.

Ear asymmetry after surgery

Early on ear asymmetry is normal after otoplasty.  Be patient and allow your ears sufficient time to heal.  It may up to 6 months to appreciate many of the subtle nuances of your surgery.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon