Otoplasty: Are my Early Results Normal? Will Asymmetry Resolve? (photo)

It has been 5 days since I had otoplasty. However, I have some concerns which, while I have recently emailed my surgeon regarding, am desperate to receive further professional feedback on. My surgeon advised me head dressing was not needed 24hours after surgery, but I've been wearing a sports band 24hrs a day, having read about cartlidge "memory". When i take the band off, my ears look great, but after a while, the top of the right one seems to stick out. Can this be caused by swelling?

Otoplasty Surgery Results

+2

Thank you for your question and photo.

Since you are so early in the recovery process, I would ask that you allow things to heal and the swelling to subside to evaluate the final results. If a 3 to 6 months post op the superior aspect of the ear remains relatively prominent, you may benefit from revisionary surgery.

I would suggest continued relocation with your plastic surgeon.

Ear asymmetry after surgery

+1

Early on ear asymmetry is normal after otoplasty.  Be patient and allow your ears sufficient time to heal.  It may up to 6 months to appreciate many of the subtle nuances of your surgery.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon