I Had an Otoplasty in Nov 2011, Completely Failed, Reversed to Original Appearance Within 3 Months?

the surgeon had put in dissolving stitches the first time. He re-did the procedure about 8 months later and used permanent stitches. He did not remove any cartilage either time. The ears are slipping back towards original appearance, at the tops, in the last couple months. The left ear is back out where it was at the top before surgery. Right ear has slipped out about 1/16 inch. left ear cartilage is much stiffer than right ear. What should i do? this was and is important to me

Cartilage Modification in Revisional Otoplasty

+2

Otoplasty relapse is either due to suture loosening or too much cartilage stiffness. Given that the suture issue has been addressed, further and more stable improvement is going to come from weakening the natural stiffness of the cartilage to eliminate its recoil potential.

Failed otoplasty, reversed to original appearance within three months

+2

As we age our ear cartilage becomes less pliable and more stiff.  Otoplasty in adult patients often protrude with time if sutures alone are used to hold the ears in a less prominent position.  This may  work for children, but in adult ears, some cartilage weakening is necessary to prevent the issue you have experienced.

John F. Reinisch, MD

Otoplasty revision for upper pole coming out and relapsing

+1

Based on the pictures, I think your surgeon did a good job. The ear is set back or at a position that is close to ideal. If you get them pinned back more they will be too pinned back in my opinion. But you are the person that should be happy. You can get them pinned back more but you should understand that this may not be what people will view and perceive as normal.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Questions about an otoplasty

+1

Almost impossible to answer this question without a pre-operative photograph.  There does appear to be  flare of the upper portion of your ear.  I would need to examine your pre-op photos to give your any suggestions.