Otoplasty for my Type of Ears? (photo)

I would like to have otoplasty performed. However, I looked through several pictures on the internet and it seems that sometimes patients who originally have the shape of ears similar to mine result in "phone" ears after the surgery or protruding earlobes. I attach one of the "before-after" picture which I DON'T want to have. I would like to know if it's possible to have the surgery performed and to have the shape of the ear as shown on the 3rd picture, but not as close to the head. Thank you in advance!

Otoplasty for your ears

+1

Your goals for surgery are appropriate and could be achieved with surgery.  I would consider that you will need some degree of conchal excision (removal of conchal cartilage) to reduce the prominence of the middle third of your ear.  Without this, I feel your ears will not look the way you want.  Best of luck with your surgery and thank you for your question.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty and Tailoring to Individual Expectations

+1

Otoplasty is a very individual operation, and I tailor the operation to the individual.  I perform all of these under local so that the patient can be an active participant.  I have found that patients interested in otoplasty are extremely critical of the results.  Therefore, I have a mirror in the OR so that the patient can give feedback as the operation proceeds.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Expectations are appropriate

+1

Your expectations are appropriate. Take the photo’s you have shown here on Realself to a cosmetic consult. Your otoplasty most likely will involve chonchal bowl reduction and removal of the excessive posterior skin. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty or ear pinning

+1

What is see is largely for an overall setback as opposed to moving the upper 1/3 to 1/2 back plus a setback.  You're a good candidate and should be able to achieve what you're looking for without much trouble.  I would perform this under local anesthesia.  In particualar (based on your photos) I'd avoid changing the upper 1/3 by much. 

Hope that was helpful

Chase Lay, MD

Web reference: http://chaselaymd.com/Otoplasty__Ear_Pinning_.php

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prominent ears

+1

It is important to adjust the earlobes as well as the top of the ear when performing an otoplasty.  Also important not to over rotate them too close to the head, so as not to look like you came out of a wind tunnel

Otoplasty Concern Protruding Earlobe

+1

Vadim- you are quite correct in referring to a common mistake in otoplasty where the middle of the ear is pulled back without adequately addressing the top or bottom of the ear (lobule). This results in the "telephone ear" deformity, leaving the ear in the shape of a public telephone hand piece. (If you can remember those!)

I agree with the other surgeon that properly setting the lobe in natural balance with the rest of the ear is critically important. Thats is what you are doing with your fingers in the 3rd picture you reference. 

Make sure to speak to several board certified surgeons and express your concerns about the telephone deformity.

Best- Dr S

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Adjustment As Part Of A Complete Otoplasty

+1

The untoward otoplasty results to which you refer is not the result of how the cartilage was repositioned but by a lack of setting back the earlobe at the same time. The earlobe has no cartilage in it and is thus not affected by any cartilage suturing. It is an often forgotten part of an otoplasty and can make the middle part of the ear look like it is pulled back too far. In those protruding ear patients that also have an earlobe that angles out (and many do) it is important to set the earlobe back at the same time as the cartilage to ensure that the outer helical rim is a smooth line.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyotoplasty.com