Otoplasty - Too Early to Tell or Bad Job? (photo)

Hi Team, I would really appreciate your help here... I am 3 weeks post otoplasty. I am so upset as I feel it didn't go well. Am i panicing? I spent my savings on it. There is still bruising and it's tender. e.g. taking my jumper off can be sore. The fold in my ear doesn't look like it was properly done. Can you please give me some feedback? There was no cartilage removed. Thank you so much, Damien

Otoplasty - Too Early to Tell or Bad Job?

+1

Three weeks is too early to judge the final results of your otoplasty. Returning to your surgeon is the best advice I can give you. They can look at your pre- and post-surgery photos and discuss the expected changes over the next three months as you heal. If they feel that a revision procedure is indicated you can discuss what would be done and when the procedure might take place. If you're uncomfortable with that plan, you can always seek a second opinion but the best place to start is with your plastic surgeon. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty Result

+1

It does appear that the middle portion of your ears have been pulled back too far. This is a what's known as a telephone ear deformity. The definitive treatment is removal of the sutures causing the the deformity. Schedule a follow up appointment with your surgeon and address your concerns.

Thank you for your question and photos. Best of Luck.

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Based on your photos, your ears appear improved after your Otoplasty Surgery.

+1

One of the most challenging parts of otoplasty surgery is repositioning your ear lobes closer to your head. The top of your ears are closer to your head as compared to pre-op, and if the tops of your ears were any closer to your head, it could make the current protrusion of your ear lobes more apparent.

Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon, and consider getting a second opinion from a reputable facial plastic surgeon so you could learn what might be best for you.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ottoplasty

+1

Bad results. Probably will continue as swelling subsides.

Would consider removing the sutures now. and deal with the revision later.

More expense.

3 Weeks Post-op Otoplasty

+1
It is not unusual to have soreness, bruising and swelling 3 weeks after an otoplasty. I would make sure your surgeon has examined you to make sure that you do not have an infection or a blood clot as the cause of any of your symptoms as a precaution. The upper and lower part of your ears do seem to protrude on the "after" photo provided. However, it is possible that this appearance could be due to swelling. Once the swelling resolves, if the appearance is still not satisfactory, I would consult with your surgeon and also get a second opinion as to whether a revision is needed. If it turns out that a revision is needed, many surgeons do not charge an additional surgeon's fee for revisions if they are performed within a specified period of time.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Results 3 weeks post-otoplasty

+1

Three weeks post-otoplasty may be too early to determine the success of the surgery. Once all the swelling is out at four to six months post-surgery would be a better time to evaluate any residual deformity. Did your surgeon advise you to wear a headband? If so, ensure you are doing so regularly.

Good luck,

Dr. A

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon