Do I Need Otoplasty/ear Surgery to Pin my Ears Back? (photo)

I think they are too prominent.

Do I Need Otoplasty/ear Surgery to Pin my Ears Back?

+1

If you would like the ears pinned back, this is a straightforward procedure with little downtime.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Otoplasty and rhinoplasty

+1

The decision to perform an  Otoplasty is a personal one and the decision to proceed with surgery is yours alone. The otoplasty procedure involves recreating  the antihelical fold with  permanent sutures placed in the cartilage on the backside of the ear. In addition, sutures were also placed behind the ears to bring the concha bowls back closer to the head to decrease the projection of the ears.The otoplasty procedure can be performed under local anesthesia, takes approximately one hour, and  patients have about 10 days of swelling and bruising afterwards.

Good Candidate for Otoplasty?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures, but as you can imagine it is difficult to give good  advice based on the limited information. If YOU feel that the ears are too prominent,  seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons in your area. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. As always,  part of the education process should involve learning about the potential risk/complications associated with the proposed procedure.  You may find the attached link helpful to you in this regard.

+1

Otoplasty can be performed for you to place your ears closer to your head, reducing their prominence. Whether or not you should do that is totally up to you. This is a very personal decision. You need to weigh the benefits of surgery against the risks, cost and associated downtime of the procedure. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+1

good morning Danrich

it's a matter of preference. I wouldn't say their two prominent and I certainly wouldn't say that they are unsightly. If you're relatively young say in your teens or early 20s you may find that this looks a little different as you age. That being said otoplasty can be performed safely and effectively under local anesthesia with about 7 to 10 days of downtime. Incisions are behind your ears and I'll attach a video you may find helpful.

to answer your question more directly. Do you need surgery for your heirs? not so much, but it's up to you. If you have additional reasons for wanting to do this such as being made to feel uncomfortable by her peers and so forth you should explore resolving those issues first.

Dr. Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon