Otoplasty 9 Days Post Op - is This Hypertrophic/keloid Scaring? (photo)

Hello, I had bilateral otoplasty 9 days ago and as far as I know it was a suture only operation. While I'm in no pain, both ears did bleed a little from the incision a few days post op. My concern is that behind my left ear I've noticed lumps since clearing the dried blood, I'm scared that this may be hypertrophic/keloid scars but they dont seem to be on the incision and just to the side. Hoping it is just swelling. I've attached pics, should I be concerned?

Scars after otoplasty

+1

can occur but your photos suggest an everted wound caused by the sutures.  Whent the sutures are removed, the heaped up scar is expected to settle down.  Its too early for hypertrophic and keloid scarring.  I hope you have discussed your concerns with your surgeon as he/she is best equipped to address any concerns you may have.

Skin redundancy after otoplasty

+1

When doing an otoplasty, the ear is "pinned" closer to the side of the head. This often results in some residual skin redundancy that occurs behind the ear. Your surgeon likely trimmed some skin at the incision site. However, there still may be some "extra skin" left, because as surgeons, we don't like to close the wound under tension. In addition, swelling is also a possibility. Either way, this will likely smooth out over time. It is too early in your healing process to be a keloid.

C.W. David Chang, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too Early For Abnormal Scarring Following an Otoplasty

+1

You are way to early in the recovery process to be concerned about abnormal scarring.  What you are seeing is most likely just early post operative swelling and it is not unusual for it to be different from side to side.  Just relax, ask your surgeon during your next visit and I am sure he will be able to provide relief to your post operative anxieties about scarring.  

Otoplasty nine days ago

+1

At only nine days after your otoplasty, it would be too soon to be developing hypertrophic or keloid scars.  I would say that what you are feeling is just swelling from the procedure and it should go down with more time.  Your surgeon should be able to follow your progress to make sure you are healing correctly.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon