Can an Otoplasty Be Damaged Six Years After the Operation Occured?

I had an otoplasty 7 years ago and a follow-up surgery 6 years ago. During some horseplay I was accidentally hit in the ear relatively hard. I keep looking at the ear and honestly sometimes I think it looks different and others I don't. My question relates to how sensitive the stiches and re-shaped cartilage are this far out - 6 years - from the operation. Could I have done any damage at this point? Even slightly? Thanks in advance for any help.

Unlikely to have damaged your ears, but...

+3

To damage an otoplasty repair 6 years out would take some significant trauma.  Can it be damaged - yes, but it's not likely, especially if you're not sure if there's a difference at this point.  Most likely you have some swelling and discomfort associated with the trauma, and it will resolve. 

Allow time for the swelling to subside, but if you have persistent doubts or notice a significant discrepancy/asymmetry, then contact your operating surgeon for an evaluation.  Good luck.

Blunt trauma to the ear after an otoplasty

+2

After 6 years your ears should react as normal ears when you sustain blunt trauma.  Given time the swelling should decrease and I would expect your ears to go back to normal. 

How Long After Otoplasty Are Can the Ears Change with Trauma?

+1

The sutures used to reshape ear cartilage are only needed until the body heals fully.  This process takes about 6 months.  After that ear shape is stable, other than normal age-related changes. After rough horseplay the ears will not change in shape.  It is quite normal to worry about your ears after otoplasty.  If you have real concerns, see your surgeon for reassurance.

Minas Constantinides, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon