Is There an OTC Cream That's Effect in Removing Brown Spots from Years of Sun Bathing?

I am 51 years old and noticed that I have some small to medium size brown spots on arms, chest and legs’. My face has 2 very small spots. I have sun bathed mostly the past 10 yrs…not in my early years. I am currently trying alpha hydrox spot lightener bought OTC but I haven’t seen any results from this product. Due to the economy right now, I can't afford to see a dr.for this so I was wondering if there an OTC cream that's very effective in removing brown spots from arms, chest and legs?

I like the Fraxel Restore Dual for a complete treatment and the GentleLase laser for spot treatment.

+2

Over the counter creams are not potent enough to remove these spots. I like the Fraxel Restore Dual for a complete treatment and the GentleLase laser for spot treatment of these spots.  

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

OTC creams do not work for age spots

+2

The age/sun spots you have will not go away with over-the-counter creams.  Even prescription bleaching creams do not do a good job of bleaching these spots.  Wear a good sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher, broad spectrum) and limit your time in the sun so you won't get more spots!  Laser works best for these.  Liquid nitrogen is less expensive and should work.

Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Removing brown spots

+1
So the first thing any of us would say is that someone needs to make sure that you are not dealing with a pre skin cancer or a skin cancer. If not, brown spots can be treated with some of the cosmeceuticals that many of us work with, which are stronger than those in drug stores or department stores.  Some include Neocutis Blanche and Perle; Syneron Beauty Elure; Obagi Nu Derm System; SkinMedica Lytera; and Skinceuticals Advanced Lightener.  Many are available in spas associated with skin care physicians so give them a try.
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Effective treatment and products for sun damaged skin

+1
Finding an over the counter product to lighten sun damage and melasma is very difficult. The appropriate product depends on the amount and depth of pigmentation. OTC products do not contain a high enough level of  lightening agent in the product, therefore there will be very limited efficacy.  There are products that can be purchased through a professional that are highly effective. Skin Medica Lytera is a tested non hydroquinone skin pigment lightener that has been shown to reduce pigmentation from sun damage and as well as melasma.  Retinols are also an effective product used in conjunction with lightning products for increased treatment.It is aways important to seek professional advice when treating the skin. 

OTC Creams and Sun/Brown spots

+1

The amount and depth of sun/brown spots that you are describing on your body cannot be effectively treated with an over the counter product.  When you can invest in the procedure I would suggest either the Fraxel for the face or the Yag depending on the number of spots that you are treating.  These lasers are highly effective.  Remember to find a board certified dermatologist who has a lot of experience in lasers and cosmetic dermatology.

IPL

+1

I would encourage you to see a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon to make sure that your spots are fine prior to doing any treatment.  In addition to sunscreen, using hydroquinone 4% cream and tretinoin cream can be very effective with lightening these spots. 

Removal of brown spots

+1

You really should have your skin assessed by a dermatologist to make sure all of your spots are normal.  You should avoid the sun to prevent more brown spots, use glycolic acid or retinol creams for peeling and a hydroquinone cream for fading.  These products may help fade your spots somewhat over time, but do not work as well as in-office laser treatments.

Toronto Dermatologist

Treatment Brown Spots Due To Sunbathing

+1

You can use OTC exfoliants as a way to lessen the darkness of the lesions, but unfortunately you are probably looking at needing a combination of medical skin care and possibly laser treatments.  Also, you need to continue rigorous use of sunblock, even if you lighten the areas you are treating.  Sun exposure after correcting sun spots will cause them to return.  I have noticed a big difference with patients who pay attention to sunblock over the course of many months, in that their sun spots lighten quite a bit on their own without treatment.

Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sun damaged skin with brown spots does require more aggressive treatment.  We offer the DOT Co2 for Laser skin resurfacing.

Brown spots from Sun Damage

+1

We find that the Obagi System does a wonderful job of correcting sun damage skin.  Although, there are some patients that would require laser surgery, but many are presently surprised with the results of the Obagi System when the instructions are followed.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.