Is it Normal to Have an Osteotomy After Open Rhinoplasty?

I had an open rhinoplasty 5 months ago and after the first few weeks I was noticing that my nose is still croocked. At first the surgeon said that it was the swelling but now he is saying that we have to wait for the 6 month mark so he could perform osteotomy. Does this happen often and is this normal?

Open Rhinoplasty and Osteotomies

+2

Hi,

Usually osteotomies are performed during the an open rhinoplasty.You may have had the osteotomies during your first surgery but your surgeon wants to wait to perform the another osteotomy to try to straighten out your nose.

Dr.S.

Osteotomy after rhinoplasty

+2

Generally an osteotomy is done at the time of the rhinoplasty.  However, it is not always necessary and if it was not done, it is possible that swelling may have masked the need to do this until after healing has taken place (usually several months like in your case).  You could always get a second opinion to confirm its necessity now.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+2

Every patient heals different.  You may have moved your nose during the healing process, and need a revision.   Did you get hit or bumped?  If you are unsure regarding your nasal revision, seek a 2nd opinion.  Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Normal to have an Osteotomy after an Open Rhinoplasty?

+2

Fortunately it is not normal or does it happen often. However complications can occur. I don't know you, your surgeon, or what was done during your surgery but it does sound like your surgeon is willing to correct what problems you have. If you're unsure get a second opinion from a rhinoplasty specialist.

Osteotomy is a normal part of rhinoplasty

+1

For both open and closed rhinoplasty procdures, osteotomy is a very common step to close the reduced hump and narrow of straighten the nose. If your nose is still crooked after your open rhinoplasty, a revision might include a second osteotomy if the first was not successful. Waiting six to twelve months before nasal revision, is always the best plan.

Most rhinoplasties will have better results if osteotomies (breaking the bones) are performed

+1

If any amount of hump is removed, it is usually necessary to perform osteotomies to close what is called an open roof. This manuver is also used to narrow the nasal bones and/or straighten crooked nasal bones (the upper third of the nose).

Steven J. Pearlman, MD