Would osteotomies be needed in my case? (photo)

I would like to reduce the tip and dorsum height of my nose. I don't have a large hump or bump, but it is slightly curved. Could I just get a couple millimeters shaved off of the nasal bone and cartilage? Im thinking that would make a tremendous difference. I'm ok with my nose head on, and wouldn't mind it being a little wider since it's so tall, but would osteotomies be required with my nose?

Osteotomies are often necessary if a hump is removed.

+2

It would be necessary to actually examine your nose in person to determine if osteotomies or "breaking" the bones would be necessary. For most patients, it will help prevent what is called an open-roof deformity. This part of the procedure takes about 30 seconds and will close the gap left from removing a hump. It doesn't make the nose less stable or the operation more risky. Actually it usually creates more symmetry and harmony than not performing osteotomies. I have done a number of revisions where osteotomies weren't done but should have been.

Osteotomies

+2

Osteotomies may not be needed if only a small amount of dorsum is removed. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Would osteotomies be needed in my case

+2

Can not guess an answer with chart ,posted photo. Best to obtain IN PERSON opinions from a few boarded PSS in your So Fla area..

Would osteotomies be needed in my case?

+2

The need for osteotomies can only be made from a frontal view that would need to include your eyes and brows.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Osteotomies

+2

There is a good chance that they are needed in your case, but a font view (portrait view) photo is necessary to make a better prediction.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Rhinoplasty and Osteotomy

+2

An exam is needed to determine exactly what you need to achieve the results you want. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Would osteotomies be needed in my case?

+1

An in-person exam would really be necessary to provide you with the best advice. Depending on the individual circumstances of the patient, osteotomies may be necessary when reducing a nasal hump to prevent an "open roof deformity" from occurring. Fracturing the nasal bones, or performing "osteotomies" is a technique we use for narrowing the nasal bones and/or closing an open roof deformity. In general, when we take off a nasal hump, the bone can have a gap. Nasal bones are fractured to close the open roof that can occur after you take the hump down, and close the "ledge." We need to fracture the nasal bones in, performing lateral and medial osteotomies. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to evaluate your nose in person and advise you as to whether osteotomies would be necessary in your particular case. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Osteotomies after nasal hump removal

+1

Osteotomies are required in most rhinoplasty procedures.When there is only a very small hump present, osteotomies will not be needed. It's impossible given opinion based on one photograph, since the nose is a three-dimensional structure. Please see our photo gallery link below for many examples of noses similar to your own

Hump removal

+1

Shaving down the dorsal hump and trimming the cartilaginous portion is very common. However, this will flatten the nose, and osteotomies are often necessary.

Would osteotomies be needed in my case?

+1

Probably not. An exam would provide better insight into this.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA