Osteophyte on Right Nasal Dorsum 2 Months out from Rhinoplasty. Will Exercise Make It Grow?

I am two months out from a successful open rhinoplasty to reduce my overprojected dorsum and a small dorsal hump. I am starting to feel a small 3-5 mm irregularity on right dorsum at eye level. It feels like an osteophyte to me, somewhat defined and hard. My dorsal contour looks smooth and even but the skin is starting to look white over the osteophyte. What else can this be besides an osteophyte? Do you recommend a gentle massage? Will exercise make it grow? throbs in that spot with exertion.

Bumps after Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear San Diego Rhinoplasty Patient,

Bumps after rhinoplasty are uncommon.  They can represent bone, cartilage, or soft tissue.  They can be treated at the right time.  Please discuss it with your surgeon so he or she can diagnose and treat it. 

It will not get worse with exercise.  The overlying skin can be under some pressure, which increases with the increased blood flow.  This increased pressure may be why it throbs during exercise. 

I hope this is helpful to you,

Ali Sepehr, MD Facial Plastic Surgeon, Irvine, Orange County, California

Irvine Facial Plastic Surgeon

Osteophyte on nose post rhinoplasty and exercise

+1

Noses can be a challenge even to the best surgeon.  If you have an osteophyte, exercise should not change it.  There are many reasons to have a bump on the dorsum of the nose after surgery.  It is usually due to swelling of the component parts, (i.e.; bone, periosteum, cartilage, soft tissue).  Best to follow up closely with your surgeon, and let him know what is going on.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Bump on nose after nasal surgery.

+1

Bump on nose after nasal surgery can be cartilage or bone. This sometimes happens and will not be affected with exercise. See your surgeon for an easy office procedure.

Possible osteophyte after rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend visiting with your surgeon to have that area examined. You may have an osteophyte. Another possibility is asymmetric swelling of the bone covering (periosteum) in that area.

I've had success treating osteophytes in the office by shaving them down with a hypodermic needle (using local numbing medicine, of course). Tissue swelling can be treated with massage, a steroid injection or 5-FU.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD