Orthodontic Surgery Before or After Rhinoplasty & Lip Lift W/ Lip Implants?

I'm considering orthodontic and plastic surgery in the future. I'm not sure which to do first. I have a gummy smile with a mild-strong overbite, my teeth are almost perfectly straight expect for the four front teeth ( the two next to the middle two stick out, while the middle two sit back) My lips seem to slightly lean lower on onside. My left gum on my upper jaw seems to suffer from protrusion. which should i go with first? i am unhappy with both.

Phases

+1

I agree with Dr Jones. You must have an overall plan fine tuned first. The braces will need to be on before any orthognathic surgery to have all the teeth in noninterferring positions. The most important part of your treatment is the PLAN.

It is absolutely a great idea to take in picture of things you like and don't like. The more you all have the same picture in your mind the better.

This is an advantage to doing as much as possible at the same time like less anesthesia, equals less cost, less downtime. There are also advantages to doing things in phases like spreading the cost out, seeing the true effects of individual procedures, ability to adjust the final outcome if each part isn't exactly what you think. Dramatically changing your face can be pretty emotional, even small changes can mess with your esteem. I would recommend teeth and jaw first then tweak the rest.

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Orthodontic surgery or Rhinoplasty, Which First?

+1

I am an orthodontist and on difficult cases like yours I work with a dual degree MD, DDS, practitioner who does both plastic surgery and oral surgery.  Both orthodontic and cosmetic procedures should be part of your overall plan and in some cases they can all (orthodontic surgery,  rhinoplasty, and lip procedures) be done at the same time. This is not only an advantage in fewer surgical procedures but fewer people to have to communicate with so that everyone is on the exact same page about the overall treatment plan.  The overall plan should be made first and then braces will be put on before any surgery to get everything ready for the surgical procedures. The most important part of your treatment is the PLAN.  Exactly where are we trying to go with everything and how are we going to get there.  You need great communication between you and your doctors and them with each other.  I would also ask to see photographs of similar cases these doctors have treated together and see if you like the results they were able to accomplish.  You want to be absolutely sure to get this right the first time.

Clark L. Jones, DDS, MSD
Phoenix Orthodontist