Need an "Orthodontic" Advice. Would Braces Help My Case?

I have Class 1 skeletal, bi-max, with 3mm overjet (my upper teeth-front). So I'm thinking of wearing braces. Is it necessary?

Are braces needed

+1

unfortunately there is really no way to tell you one way or another.

Are you crowded?

What bothers you?

What are you trying to fix?

Maybe resubmit your question

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Is orthodontic treatment necessary with class I bite

+1

If you think about it, nobody ever died from not having braces, so are they ever really "necessary?"  Perhaps a better way to think about it is to ask what benefits you might derive from braces, and do you value these benefits?  In your case, your teeth might protrude a bit and you lips might be held outward by the teeth.  You might have to move your jaw a bit more than normal in order to use your front teeth to cut food (like lettuce in a sandwich).  You might decide that having your teeth protrude less would make your smile more attractive.  If any of these (or other) factors seem like things you'd like to correct, then braces might be of benefit to you.  One other thing to consider ... the benefits that result from braces last your entire lifetime.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Orthodontic treatment is an elective procedure

+1

Sounds like you already visited your orthodontist and received an orthodontic diagnosis! Class 1 skeletal bimaxilary protrusive means that both your upper and lower jaws sare positioned forward of your forehead (when viewed in profile). 3mm overjet means that your upper front teeth are about 3mm in front of your lower incisors when you are biting into your normal "bite".

Above description is of a normal occlusion. But the numbers alone can't help us make a recommendation.  The following items help us make recommendations for the patients to decide if braces are needed:

You will have to consider your race, gender and age.  Bimax protrusion is very common in Africans, African-Americans, Hispanics and Asians. In most Caucasian population, this may appear "too full". Female patients may not appreciate the bimax appearance as our modern day's view of feminine beauty standards skew towards class 2 skeletal (meaning lower jaw appears smaller and further set behind).

Your will have to consider your relaxed and smiling lip position, appearance and amount of your gingiva shown, areas of "folds" upon natural smile etc. We will also evaluate the proportionality of your frontal view of your face (rule of thirds) and also your smile and individual length of teeth.

Finally, we also examine your history of sleep apnea and survey the airway to see if retraction of teeth can reduce or narrow the pharyngeal airway space.

All of the above (and plus many more) items will be taken into consideration with what you describe as your primary concern in seeking orthodontic treatment to come to conclusion as to whether or not we recommend orthodontic treatment. 

A very long answer for a seemingly simple question, "do I need braces?"

Nobody ever died of having crooked teeth. Nobody needs to get braces.

Braces are (in most cases) and should be an elective procedure unless there is severe skeletal and dental problems that can cause severe health, emotional or psychological problems in growing children or adults.  

I hope I gave you a brief background into what most orthodontists think when examining a patient to determine what to recommend a new patient interested in braces.

Good luck and wish you the best as you begin your orthodontic treatment!

Richard Shin, DDS
Rockville Orthodontist