BMI is 26.5, Wanted to Be a 24 but Was Encouraged That I Would Look Better if I Did Now?

5 " 6 3/4" Started at 175, down to 166 pounds, 40Y. I have a ton of skin from 3 large babies (10 lbs, 11lbs, & the last baby 14 lbs and I broke 205 pounds, was huge). My BMI is 26.5, my goal weight is 150. Is this 16 pounds going to make a huge difference with having the Mini TT and Lipo (I only need it on the flanks) . Optimal time for surgery, plus the nurse told me I would look better in the end if I did it now and then worked out. I keep reading posts that you want to lose weight?

Weight loss goal before surgery.

+2

It is always better to be as close to your goal weight before having body contouring surgery, but being 5-10 pounds away is usually adequate.

By your description it sounds like a mini tummy tuck may not fully correct your concerns. If you felt comfortable posting photos you would get many opinions on this. I find that a mini tummy tuck is indicated in a few select patients and those with large weight gain and stretching from pregnancy fare better with a standard tummy tuck and have superior results.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Lose More Weight Before Tummy Tuck

+2

You are probably OK for a TT unless you tend to carry all your weight in your abdomen. But be careful, a minituck is almost never a good idea for extra skin after pregnancy. You might want to get another opinion.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Surgery

+1

I dont know how much more excess skin you will have with the added weight loss. You appear to have lost quite a lot of weight already. Mini tummy tucks are for a very select group of patients. Photographs would be very helpful

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

It really will make no difference if you have the surgery now, especially if that that few pounds is very hard to lose. Although you don't show photos, it sounds to me like you are probably better off having a full tummy tuck.  It will give you a much better result than a mini tuck.  There are not many patients I see in whom a mini accomplishes very much, so ask your surgeon if a full tummy tuck is also an option.  Good luck

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

The right answer is not always the one you want to hear - tummy tuck.

+1

The honest answer here is that losing weight first is the way to go. It is safer and the results are usually improved. Unfortunately, this is not what most people want to hear. If you undergo a tummy tuck and then lose a lot more weight, chances are you will be unhappy with the results as they will suffer from the additional weight loss. This often leads to revisions. If your issue is truly excess skin (and after a 14lb baby, I'm assuming it is!), then a mini tummy tuck is a poor solution. I would recommend consulting with a few more Board Certified Plastic Surgeons prior to booking surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tymmy tuck

+1

i generally tell people to try to get within 10% of their ideal weight before surgery.  i also say the closer they get to that weight the more likely i will be able to give them what they want.   i am not sure of your choice of operation.  you describe yourself as having lots of excess skin.   a mini tummy tuck will not fix this issue. revisit this issue before the surgery with your surgeon

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

You are very close of ideal patient for TT/BBL/ estas muy cerca de ser paciente ideal paraTT/BBL

+1

yes you only would need to loose some 12 lbs  more in order to get the ideal patient requirements for succesfull bbl and tt. remember  than we will need that extra fat for butts remodeling and  improving, congratulations.

si ud. esta cerca de convertirse en paciente ideal para TT or BBL ud  necesitaria unicamente perder no mas de 12 lbs mas de peso para llevar a cabo exitosamente un TT Y UN BBL, recuerde  que no  necesitaria estar en su peso ideal porque la grasa en exceso nos serviria para remodelar ambos gluteos

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty Surgery and Weight

+1

Thank you for your question. Seeing as you're only 16 lbs away from your target weight, you may go ahead and have surgery. It seems from your description you may be a full tummy tuck. Without seeing pictures it is difficult to assess whether or not you can simply do liposuction. I can say if you have significant excess skin it will definitely be a tummy tuck. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Ideal Weight For Tummy Tuck

+1

Although patients tend to get the best results from a tummy tuck when at ideal weight, I do not think it is unreasonable to go ahead with a BMI of 26.5.  If you have a "ton of skin", you should stronglt consider a full rather than mini tummy tuck.

John Whitt, MD

Weight loss before tummy tuck?

+1

You BMI is not too high.  Rather than try to crash diet to a particular weight just try to get to a weight that you can maintain.  Once you are stable you are ready.  Good Luck!

Daniel Greenwald, MD