So Swollen I Can't Stand It? (photo)

So swollen I can't stand it! I am one week post op and I have a "pop belly pig" tummy. Will go down? I had an extended tummy tuck with muscle repair and lipo. I am a post gastric bypass patient and had a huge over hang of skin and fat. In love my doctor but I am scared that I am going to have this big belly once I am fully recovered. 15lb was taken off in total. I still have my drains in but they are draining no more and 25cc's a day each. I am following doctors order to a tee. Advice?

Swollen

+1

Swelling is a fact of post op surgical recovery .It  looks like a nice outcome so far, It is not obvious to me what you note to be swelling. There is some fullness from the abdominal contents that a TT will not correct -- the abdominal volume can be compressed just so much when the muscles are tightened. 

Follow up with your surgeon. Patience!

All the best. 

Swollen after Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

It is too soon after your tummy tuck to assess the amount of swelling.  From your photos it looks like your result is appropriate from what you started with.  Just give it time.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Postop Swelling After Body Contouring

+1

Thank you for your question and photos & congratulations on your weight loss.  It appears from your photo that your surgeon did a very good job.  You have a very significant amount of swelling associated with having lipo with a tummy tuck.  It will improve significantly with time.  Continue to follow your surgeons instructions and to have faith in his guidance. One factor that will limit how flat your tummy will be is the amount of fat around your organs. This fat is not accessible and will limit your result. Most doctors point this out to patients so that they can have realistic expectations.  Continued diet and exercise can further enhance your result, but you should do very well.  ALl the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Belly Protrusion after Tummy Tuck.

+1

Your result looks pretty good for this early.  Your swelling will diminish fairly quickly over the next few weeks.

You do appear to carry a fair amount of weight around your intra-abdominal organs even though you thighs, etc., are thin.  You may be blessed with an "apple" shape and may need more intra-abdominal weight loss to get a flatter abdomen than is possible with liposuction and tummy tuck alone.

Congratulations on your progress and perserverance so far!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

So swollen I cannot stand it.

+1

I agree with the other responses, you had a massive amount of skin removed and your body needs time to adjust, follow your PS instructions and allow your body to heal, your results will only get better...

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Early result following a body lift after massive weight loss surgery

+1

Yes you are definitively swollen at 1 week after a lower body lift.  Your drains are still in.  You had a tremendous amount of soft tissue removed and this will need more time to re drape.   Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to give you an idea if you are heal on schedule.  

Post-tummy tuck swelling

+1
Patience! Fifteen pounds is much more than is usually resected in a tummy tuck and you are extremely swollen. Followup with your surgeon to ascertain that you don't have a seroma but, otherwise, you will have to give it time.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Time to revisit your doctor

+1

This is a question only your doctor can answer based on what would have been reasonable expectations from surgery, what was done, and whether you have any undrained fluid present.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Swelling afer tummy tuck

+1

Usually 5-7 days after surgery, patients are about as swollen as they will get.  You might also be constipated due to the pain meds which will also cause enlarged abdominal girth.  Contact your surgeon for more information and to see if you are following instructions.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon