2 months post op of Juvederm injection, I have bumps and swelling on my lips causing a swallow lips. Is this normal? (photos)

I had juvederm injected in my lips 2 months ago . I Was happy with The results with the exception of some bumps in the upper lips . It wasn't noticeable but I could fill it. A week ago my lips blowed up like a ballon . I have major swelling in my lips . It gets better during the day but for reason I wake up very inflamed. My dr told me to take Medrol to see if the inflammation gets better. Is this normal ? Is this inflammation will ever go away ? Should I remove the juvederm ?

Hyaluronidase to remove Juvederm

+2
It is unusual to develop a reaction to Juvederm, especially months after the injection, however Juvederm does absorb water and this could account for some of your swelling. This should get better with time, but if the Juvederm needs to be removed this can be done by dissolving it with a medication known as hyasluronidase.

2 months post op of Juvederm injection, I have bumps and swelling on my lips causing a swallow lips. Is this normal?

+1
The treatment is correct but Juvederm usually DOES NOT have a delayed ( 2 n=months after injection) swelling like this! Are you sure it was Juvederm injected????

Swollen lip 2 months after juvederm

+1
This is very unusual 2 months after the juvederm injection.  Did  you ever have something else put into the lip before - like Silicone?  If you had another substance in there, you may be getting a delayed allergic reaction.  You should have it removed with hyaluronidase.     

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling Post Juvederm Injections

+1
Thank you for your question. It is abnormal for to have swelling like that 2 months after Juvederm injections. You can give it some more time to see if it resolves itself, if not you can always have Hyaluronidase injected in the area to dissolve the product.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm in lips with late onset of swelling

+1
It would be helpful to see a picture of the lips after 1 month when most of the initial swelling had receded but before the current onset of swelling.  I would suggest treating it with the  injected enzyme hyaluronidase soon if the Medrol did not resolve the swelling.  Because scar tissue can form around the filler there is some urgency in treatment.

Richard O. Gregory, MD