I have a keloid scar on my belly button from piercing years ago. Is there a risk of getting keloid scars on the incision? photo

I pierced my belly button 8 years ago and shortly after developed a keloid scar . I have piercings in my ears and a tattoo and haven't developed other keloid scars. Should I be worried getting a tummy tuck will result in keloid scars on the incision ?

Keloid at piercing indicates high risk of keloid with any surgery

+1
I would think you are highly likely to get either hypertrophic scarring or keloid scarring with a tummy tuck procedure. Starting scar treatments as soon as suture removal has been shown to helpful to treat and prevent excessive surgical scarring.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Prone to keloid development

+1
Thank you for the picture. I would be very concerned that you would develop a keloid for any type of cosmetic abdominal procedure. I would proceed with extreme caution.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS