What questions should a potential client ask a surgeon before having blepharoplasty?

What questions should a potential client ask a surgeon before having blepharoplasty? I live in the Orlando, Florida area and have scheduled consultations with a few surgeons, including one Oculoplastic surgeon. It is frightening to read some of the posts on RealSelf and I want to make the right decision on who I choose to do this procedure. Can you help me to ask the right questions?

Blepharoplasty consultation

+2

There are many factors to look at when choosing an eyelid surgeon.

1. Are you board certified? Which board certification?

2. How many eyelid procedures have you done in your career?

3. What are the complications, and how often do they occur in your practice?

4. Is the operating room where the blepharoplasty is being performed Certified and licensed, and by whom?

5. Is the MD anesthesiologist board certified?

Question to ask about blepharoplasty

+2

1) Are you board certified ?

2) How many blepharoplasty surgeries did you do last year?

3) Do you have a photo book of before and after results of your patients I can look at?

4) Do you have any blepharoplasty patients I can call and speak to?

These 4 are a good start and any qualified and competent surgeon should easily answer all to your liking otherwise go elseware. Richard Galitz MD, FACS

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Questions for your blepharoplasty surgeon (and answers!)

+2

What is your training? (facial plastic surgery, oculoplastic surgery and plastic surgery are acceptable answers.)

Are you Board certified? (must be YES)

Can you show me before and after photographs? (must be YES--make sure you like their work)

Where is the surgery performed? (hospital or outpatient center or office OK)

What anesthesia and who provides the anesthesia? (Be careful if doctor does their own anesthesia)

What are the risks of surgery? (bleeding, anesthesia, scarring, asymmetry, injury to the eyes)

How long is recovery? (usually one week)

If you want, ask to speak to one of their patients who had the same surgery performed.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consultation questions for blepharoplasty

+2

As you may already know, you should narrow your search to surgeons who are specifically trained in plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery or oculoplastic surgery. Look for board certification. Every patient is counseled to ask for before and after photos. Though photos are helpful, you have to be careful because any surgeon can put up his/her best work. You need to be able to trust that your surgeon has your best interest in mind. Your surgeon is not just a technician, but needs to have the skill to be able to deal with problems if they arise.

Going into a consultation for surgery can be daunting. I will tell you that the best advice will actually come from other patients who have gone through the process of selecting a surgeon before you. Real Self has a great community of patients who have been through your shoes. Personal recommendations from previous patients are much stronger than any review sites or websites. Besides asking for pre/post photos, ask if you can speak to previous patients. If the surgeon does great work he/she should not have any problem letting you speak to several former patients.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

What should i ask a surgeon about blepharoplasty

+2

First of all this procedure is the number one procedure that , if not done properly, will give patients an "operated look". Whenever you see a freaky looking celebrity , usually done by a surgeon who likes to promote himself as a "Beverly Hills plastic surgeon" as if somehow practicing within that zip code somehow imparts special skills, it is almost always a problem with the eyes.

Before you even go you need to find a surgeon who has board certification in plastic Surgery, facial plastic surgery, or occuloplastic surgery. Then you should ask your medical doctor or Ob-gyn if he recommends anyone in particular and ask your friends. DO NOT believe anything you read on the Internet either from a surgeons website or from reviews. For example , one if the workd's best rhinoplasty surgeons has an entire website devoted to slanering him by a former psycho patient. All that is fine but is not definitive information. There are also now surgeons paying companies to falsify reviews for them so that route of evaluation is now invalid. In addition, the Internet is not reviewed well by professional societies and we see many doctors claiming to be "world renowned, and so on.

Ask to see his results. Ask to speak to former patients. Ask if he has ever published or taught anything on blepharoplasty. Ask if he is a member of ASAPS or even better the American Association of Plastic Surgery which is a peer selected honor society.

Do not decide based on personality, office staff, interior design, "feeling" , or anything else unrelated to what type of result you will get. It's the result that counts and the rest is all marketing and there are many that are excellent at marketing and not necessarily the surgery.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Questions to ask prior to a blepharoplasty surgery

+1
Start by looking at photos. You need to find great before and after images, a lot of them and be sure that the results look great. But, also be sure that the quality of the photos is consistent. That will speak volumes about a plastic surgeon's attention to detail. 

In addition to to board certification, check a plastic surgeon's education and training. Did the surgeon you are considering attend a top tier medical school and graduate at the top of their class? Did the surgeon receive training from a top university medical center? What about experience? The surgeon's philosophy?

Look at their OR and surgical staff.  The environment and the surgical team and the facility where the procedure is performed is very important.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Well actually Beverly Hills is a very competitive market and the cream does rise to the top.

+1

The pre-operative consultation sets the stage for what to expect from the potential surgeon.

There is no substitute for a very careful analysis of your situation to determine a clear plan for eyelid surgery. My personal approach involves talking with you about your goals for your eyelid surgery. It is sometimes very helpful to review with you older photographs dating back into high school and college. There is often an age when you think of yourself have peak beauty in which case, the goal of surgery needs to be as much as possible capturing this look. It is critically to get a detailed medication, allergy, medical, surgical, and social history to properly think about your health and welfare associated with eyelids surgery. Detailed photographs are then taken.

A detailed examination of the eyes and face is then performed. This starts with a determination of your best corrected visions and measurements of facial symmetry including determining if the eyes project the same amount from the face on each side. It is very helpful to determine if the eyes sit at the same height on each side. I personally like to sketch my patients eyes and eyelids. I feel this forces me to very carefully see the potential issues that are present. Following this I do detailed measurements of the eyes which includes the palpebral fissure height on each side (a measure of how open the eyes are), the margin to crease height, the margin to reflex distance on each side, and a measurement of eyelid ptosis. Levator function is measures and lower eyelid laxity is then assessed. This is followed by a detailed motor and sensory assessment of the eyes, the eyelids, and the face. I assess the pupils and perform a confrontational visual field. Generally I will also perform a microscopic slit lamp examination of the eyelids and the front of the eyes to assess the health of the eyelid margins, conjunctive, cornea, anterior chamber, iris, lens. Intraocular pressure is assessed if you are not being actively followed by an ophthalmologist or there is a family history of glaucoma. I will then do a tear production test and follow this with a nondilated fundoscopic examination. When indicated, I will do some specialize testing to assess upper eyelid ptosis.

Now I am in a position to discuss what your best options are for eyelid surgery. This assessment and an appropriately detailed discussion of risks, benefits, alternative, and likelihood of success. Is this level of detailed needed for every eyelid surgery? I personally think so. I think this profoundly increases the chance of the surgeon getting eyelid surgery right the first time. I think you deserve that.