Explantation To Get Natural Looking Breasts? (photo)

I wish to explant my approx. 500 cc high profile, over the muscle saline implants. My goal is natural feeling and looking breasts. Which of the following would produce the most favorable results: explantation/no lift, with a lift, or a revision where my overfilled, high-profiles are replaced a with a less filled low-profile? Personally, I'd prefer to be implant free without the inevitable scarring of a mastopexy. Also, any thoughts on a pre-op deflation to better determine due course?

Explantation

+2

Answering the last question first, yes I think that once you are sure that you want to have additional surgery, deflating the implant will clarify the decision process. You and your surgeon will have a better idea of how much breast tissue you actually have, how much skin excess, and where the nipple and areola are without the added volume. 

From there you can decide if there is enough tissue to do a lift alone, or whether you want more volume and how much to chose an implant size. 

Based upon the photos, I think you will need to consider a lift with any down-sizing of your implants. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Removal of Breast Implants and Options?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although you may prefer to be “implant free without the scarring of a mastopexy",  I doubt that you will be pleased with the  appearance of your breasts if you have the breast implants removed ( and do not undergo re-augmentation and/or breast lifting surgery). 

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

I think that pre-opt deflation of your breast implants is a perfectly acceptable course to take.  Doing so will allow your skin to contract back and for you and your plastic surgeon to mutually determine the best course of action to meet your goals.

Will removing my implants give me natural breasts?

+2

Based on the size and shape of your breasts, simply removing the implants will result in droopy breasts with a low nipple position.  Your options are to remove the implants and perform a lift (which does result in scars, although they usually heal very well), or replacing the implants.  If you choose to replace the implants with smaller implants or change the location or profile, you may want to consider a simultaneous lift to reposition your nipples and remove any loose skin.  Your best bet is to consult with a qualified plastic surgeon who can examine your tissue and skin and give you options.  Deflating saline implants in the office is an option if you are set on having surgery soon after, since once you deflate them there is no going back :)   Good luck!

Michelle Spring, MD

Explantation To Get Natural Looking Breasts

+2

You appear to have sufficient breast tisue to remove your implants and reposition the remaining tissue

This would best be done with a vertical incision. A circum-areolar incision could be done, but wont give as much lift as a vertical incision

Removing the saline initially is usually beneficial as it enables you and the surgeon to see what the breast looks like without the implant

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon