8 Months PO and so Disappointed in my results. Will Lipo help, or are these the results I should expect? (photo)

I Had a TT March of this year. I am 38 5"4 and 186 pounds. Initially, I was happy with my results because It was an obvious improvement from where I started and I felt as though it would get better because I thought I was just swollen. Needless to say it hasn't gotten much better and I'm disappointed especially with the upper portion of my belly. I have not gained any weight since surgery as a matter of fact I lost 6 more pounds. I do Zumba 6 days a week and eat clean most days. Please help!

Post op result

+1

I would recommend that you return to your plastic surgeon to get his/her opinion as to the best way to proceed.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Kimberly Henry

+1

Hello, thank you for your question! I would love to see your before pictures...liposuction can definitely help you. If you would like to send pictures privately, you can email me at drkhenry@drkimberlyhenry.com, link is on my website at drkimberlyhenry.com. I would love to help!

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

8 Months PO and so Disappointed in my results. Will Lipo help, or are these the results I should expect?

+1

The concept of "visceral
fat needs to be fully understood! You have and need weight loss, especially the internal visceral fat areas. Best to seek MD supervised weight loss.

Intra Abdominal Fat

+1

The results that you have achieved are what would be expected from evaluating your preop photos. If you have a significant amount of intra-abdominal fat, you will not get a flat result unless you loose weight. A tummy tuck or lipo do not address intra-abdominal fat. Your best option at this point would be to continue your exercise regimen, add more vigourous activity, and improve your diet further. As you loose intra-abdominal weight your shape will improve further. These considerations should have been thoroughly discussed at your consultation or preop visit. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal contouring - part 2

+1

Now that the loose skin issue has been addressed, the next step would be to address the issue of residual fat. Some of the fat may be subcutaneous - which could be improved with liposuction, Coolsculpting, etc. Some of the fat may be internal - which can only be improved with weight loss. A physical exam can help figure out which is which, in your case.

So, while you might not get that much further improvement from the TT, there are certainly other things that can be done to further improve your shape. Have you spoken with your original surgeon about your frustration?

Thomas Fiala, MD

Both Liposuction and Abdominoplasty required

+1

Most abdominoplasty procedures consist of 3 combined procedures; skin removal, liposuction, and muscle tightening.

The amount of fat that can be removed at the same time as an abdominoplasty is limited for safety reasons. In the state of Florida the amount of liposuction performed at the same time as an abdominoplasty in an office surgery facility is 1 litre. In a hospital or ambulatory surgery facility such as ours, the amount is not limited by law, but should still not exceed 1 litre in my opinion.

In a situation like yours I would normally recommend 2 stages for best results - an abdominoplasty and a second stage circumferential high volume liposuction procedure, probably using the Vaser liposuction device. Depending on the situation I may recommend liposuction as the first stage.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Unsatisfied with tummy tuck results

+1

There certainly are limitations to what a tummy tuck surgery can provide for patients. Many patients have not been properly informed that this surgery is not great for patients that are still significantly over their ideal body weight. The best results are seen with patients that have been heavy at one point in time either due to pregnancy or just being heavy and have since lost most or all of the excess tissue. What remains is the skin that can not be improved with diet and exercise. The tummy tuck surgery can then repair the stretched abdominal muscles and remove the excess skin. It is not possible with either liposuction or a tummy tuck to remove the excess fatty tissue that resides within the intra-abdominal compartment (basically in and around the internal organs). Only diet and exercise can target this stubborn fatty tissue. If you continue your exercise regimen and make certain to eat in a healthy manner, you will be able to improve your results.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon