Will Orbicularis Resection Give Botox Brow Lift Like Results?

I'm a young woman,my brows are a a bit too low.I don't want a brow lift b/c of elevation of the hairline and/or long scars.Botox is in the long run just too expensive.As far as I know Botox injected into the lateral part of the eyebrow works by blocking the orbicularis muscle,so the other muscles slightly elevate the brow.I've read that there is a technique which involves making 3mm cuts at the eyebrow to resect this muscle.Wouldn't this give Botox-like permanent results?Does anyone performthis

Lifting the eyebrows and eyes without surgery - Los Angeles

+1

In our office, we have found the Ulthera procedure to be ideal for a non surgical lifting of the lateral eyes and brows. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Orbicularis muscle resection

+1

The orbicularis muscle is the main muscle used in closing the eyes. Injection of a small amount of botox at the lateral brow weakens a very specific portion of the muscle which reduces downward pull and elevates the brow slightly. I am not familiar with the specific surgical procedure that you are describing, but I would be wary about long-term problems with eyelid closure if a larger portion of the orbicularis muscle was damaged during the surgery. The lift from this type of procedure is likely to be subtle and I am not sure it would be worth the risk.

It would be helpful to see some photos to determine how to best address your concerns. Do you dislike the position and contour of your eyebrows or the excess skin on your upper eyelids which result from the brows being low?

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox Brow Lift or Muscle Surgery?

+1

Excellent question Renee.

Upper eyelid muscle surgery alone is not an effective way to elevate the brow:

• Techniques that cut the muscle do not last, scar tissues reunites the muscle fibers.
  • Brow position can be influenced by the upper eyelid muscle, but varies from person to person.  Examination is needed to determine the effect.
  • Brow lift can be done without elevating the hairline or long scars, you should consult with a plastic surgeon to see which methods may be best for your needs.
  • Botox treatments become less frequent and less expensive over time as the effect of treated muscles diminishes.

Stephen Kay, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Obicularis Resection and the Botox Brow Lift Effect

+1

Hi,

The brow lift effect from Botox injection is a result of NOT injecting the lateral frontalis muscle with Botox and INJECTING the medial corrugator and procerus muscles. Honestly, you can get this effect by cutting the medial procerus and corrugator muscles and NOT elevating the brow in a endoscopic brow procedure leaving the hairline where it is. I don't think that cutting the obicularis will get the same results.

Best.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS