Fraxel Restore Vs Botox for Large Nose Pores

I am a 34 year old Asian female. The pores around my nose are very large, much line the skin of an orange..yuck! I clean my pores, but they just appear more visible when "unclogged." Additionally, I'm EXTRA oil after I've unclogged my pores. I've been using tretinoids for years, but doesn't reduce the size of my pores. Please help! What is the most effective and longest lasting procedure for pore reduction, Botox, Fraxel Restore, Juvederm, other lasers, obagi nu-derm, anything?? THANKS!!!

Pore size and treatment

+2

Unfortunately, the size of your pores is determined at conception. The pore is a physical opening with a specific diameter in the epidermis overlying a hair follicle's opening.  If there is sebum and dead skin cells that pile up in this opening, it can make an appearance of a black head (open comedone) but at least the "hole" is plugged and the skin surface even.  Once the pore is cleaned out, which some people try to do to minimize the prevalence of acne, the opening will be more apparent.  Dermabrasion which is a sanding procedure, takes off layers of skin but can uncover a wider diameter of the follicle below the skin making the pore look bigger!  I have found that Fraxel Restore is the only treatment that has helped make some patients' pores look less noticable but unfortuantely, this is not universal, nor guaranteed.  Some patients do not get improvement and some can get worse.

CO2 Fraxel Laser for Pores

+2

My suggestion is to be careful not to strip all the oils off the skin when cleansing, this just causes the glands to get hyperactive and put out excess oil. Also constant manipulation of the pores can cause permanent enlargement and stretching, so go easy on them. I am a big fan of the CO2 fraxel for this problem, the other items you mentioned i.e. Botox, Juvederm and other lasers are not indicated for this and will not help.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel restore works best to reduce pore size

+2
In my experience, utilizing non-ablative Fraxel restore, ablative Fraxel repair, IPL, SmoothBeam, GentleYag, among other laser and light-based devices in my office, non-ablative Fraxel restore and ablative Fraxel repair work the best. Botox and fillers will not affect your pores at all. Skin care products containing retinoids and glycolic acids may temporarily reduce the appearance of pores.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Fotofacial and other non-ablative light based services are probably best.

+2

Ablative services including Fraxel, CO2, chemical peeling are at best neutral on pore size.  However, the non-ablative services like fotofacial (IPL) appear to stimulate collagen around the pore and subjective make pores look less large.  One issue of concern is Asian skin which can be burned by these treatments when the amount of skin melanin is underestimated.  Generally, 5 to 6 fotofacials are needed to obtain maximal pore improvement and these are done at 3 week intervals.  The treatment will not make the pores disappear but subjectively the treatment is helpful.

The Holy Grail of Dermatology

+1
Pore size reduction is one of the conditions I consider the "Holy Grail" of dermatology, with its unending pursuit.  My most consistent results come from a combination of Fraxel, topical retinoids (tretinoin) and sometimes oral isotretinoin - it all depends on skin-type and the cause for your pores to be prominent.  Even then there are no guarantees for this one.  See a dermatologist, they will be able to give you the ideal combination treatment plan for your skin

Fraxel or Pearl Fractional...great option for resurfacing and reducing pore appearance

+1

I would definitely recommend Fraxel DUAL or Pearl Fractional.  I have both lasers in my office and my physician assistants get excellent results with both in improving the reduction of pore appearance in patients. 

Please make sure you go to someone who has a lot of experience and is well trained with these types of resurfacing lasers especially when treating your face. 

Good luck. 

Dr. Grant Stevens    

Grant Stevens, MD

Botox for Pores

+1

The combination of both Botox Cosmetic via microinjections, laser treatment and retanoid treatments will give you the best result.  While none will completely remove the pores, they may improve the appearance.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Treatments for large pores

+1

The size of the pores is genetically determined.  Occasionally acne scars can appear to look like large pores as well.

Temporarily, topical retinoids can shrink the size of pores slightly, but the best treatment we have available for large pores is fractional resurfacing. Laser light esentially vaporizes tiny columns of skin, and the remaining skin shrinks around those vaporized areas, and there is also deposition of new collagen in the treated areas.

Botox has no effect on large pores at all.  Botox interrupts the signal from a nerve to a muscle to contract.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon