Orange Fluid Leaking from Breast Implant?

my implants were done 5 yrs ago i have had capsulted right breast for about 1 year. the doctors now think i may have a seroma i also have orange leaking from my right breast and shooting twinges what could be causing this.

Drainage five years after breast augmentation.

+2

Angela,

What you are experiencing is distinctly unusual. No on can tell you what is going on without carefully examining you, and reviewing your history. However, you should not be having drainage from your breasts, five years after breast augmentation. This could be from a chronic seroma, or there could be a low grade infection around the implant which can be quite serious.

I urge you to seek the care of a board certified plastic surgeon at your earliest convenience. If you are not seeing the surgeon who performed your surgery, take any records you may have pertaining to your surgery to the surgeon you will be seeing.

It is probable that you will need some type of surgery. But don't let this deter you from seeking a consultation. Waiting may make things worse.

David B.

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Why Do I Have Orange Fluid Leaking From My Breasts?

+1

The symptoms you described are indeed unusual 5 years after a breast augmentation.  You didn't say, but I am going to assume, the leakage from your breast is coming from your nipple.  If so, it may be from your breast tissue and not necessarily from the pocket around your implant.  An inflammation of your breast is known as mastitis.  This fluid should be cultured and you possibly need treatment for an infection or a sub-clinical infection from your breast mastitis.  Also, the twinges you refer to, I am assuming, are twinges of pain.  This, unfortunately, is a common symptom in Baker III or IV capsular contractures.  The twinges of pain may be due to nerve endings trapped by the scar tissue around your implant. 

I hope the doctors you mentioned in your note are Board Certified plastic surgeons.  If not, please go back to your original plastic surgeon, or if he or she is not available, please seek out an experienced Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area to deal with your possible mastitis and your capsular contracture. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Seroma and leaking around breast implants require surgery.

+1

Hi. Based on what you say, you probably need prompt surgery to remove seroma and correct capsular contracture around breast implants. Waiting could lead to infection.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Leaking breast implants

+1

I agree with my colleagues -- you need to see a board-certfied plastic surgeon for evaluation. You will most likely need to have the leaking implant removed, with a possible release of scar tissue as well, but this can only be determined by an examination. Good luck and best wishes.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Drainage 5 years after breast augmentation is unusual

+1

Dear Angela 64,

Drainage from a breast 5 years after augmentation is unusual. Certainly, one should suspect the implant as the culprit but you still have breast tissue that is still susceptible to disease. The drainage needs to be analyzed and you need a thorough exam by a board certified plastic Sugeon preferably by the surgeon who performed your augmentation. I hope this is helpful.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Drainage from Breast Augmentation is ABnormal

+1

Drainage from a Breast Augmentation wound is abnormal a week after surgery. It is VERY abnormal 5 years after surgery.

You really should go back and see your surgeon as he/she would be more familiar with you. If you cannot do it, you must seek out a plastic surgeon (check www.PlasticSurgery.org) and get his help ASAP.

Dr. P. Aldea

Breast implant drainage

+1

What you are describing is very abnormal.  There are many fine breast plastic surgoens in GA, especially in Atlanta.  You should see one who can tell you for sure what is going on.  Sounds like you will need some kind of surgery for sure. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implant drainage

+1

These are all very unusual symptoms and could be reflective of  a serious underlying problem that requires treatment. Please schedule a consultation and physical examination with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Fluid draining from breast

+1

Orange fluid draining from the breast is not good. I would immediately see your doctor to be evaluated.