How will I know when I need more Sculptra?

I am 47 and had 2 vials of Sculptra 2 1/2 years ago, and then another one about a year after that. Unlike fillers (where I could see when they were fading), I would like to get more Sculptra without waiting until i start to see sagging etc

Timing of Sculptra Injections

+1
The wonderful thing about Sculptra is that the injection timing is based on your particular facial anatomy and volume loss.  There is no precise formula to follow.  Injecting Sculptra is an art and I would wait until you see volume loss that needs to be replaced.  

Timing of Sculptra treatments

+1
The natural appearance of the volume created by Sculptra is one of its greatest advantages.  The timing of Sculptra treatments is dictated by your facial volume, which can best be assessed together with your physician.  With a filler such as Sculptra it's important to be conservative, as there is no recourse but to wait if you are "over" volumized.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Best Time to Augment with More Sculptra

+1
Hi Cheyjey,

The best time to have more Sculptra in your face to avoid "sagging" is when both you and your injecting physician agree that your face could use more volume.  It sounds as if you should consult with your physician, evaluate your facial volume and symmetry, look at your photographs over the time of your treatment to present, and then make the decision.  With Sculptra, as with all facial aesthetic procedures, it is essential that you trust the artistic vision of your injecting physician to insure natural beautiful results and avoid the overdone look.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

When to repeat Sculptra

+1
Your treating physician can help you make the choice. It is often difficult to see yourself as objectively, and the trained eye of a Sculptra injector can pick up small changes that may not be obvious to you yet. And you may have a nice healthy level of collagen that does not require any touch up for a while longer.

It's a nice idea to revisit your pre and post photos with your doctor, too. Our face shape shifts subtly all the time and those little maintenance activities of Botox or fillers or Sculptra can keep you looking very good for a very long time.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Sculptra

+1
The beauty of Sculptra is the ability to increase collagen production after a series of treatments. With interval injections every 1 - 2 years, fullness and symmetry can be achieved.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Repeat Sculptra patients are very much patient-directed. I will usually start with about 5-7 vials over several months. If someone has very localized volume loss (just cheeks or temples) then less Sculptra is needed. This should last 18 months to two years. I usually advise our patients to return when they notice loss of volume or sagging skin for a touch up or boost of additional Sculptra. Many of those patients also use Botox or get chemical peels giving us a chance to keep a close eye on their results. You can also review you before and after photos with your surgeon. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra maintenance

+1
The answer to how do I know when I need more Sculptra will depend on your current concerns.  If you feel like areas such as the jowls are minimal, the outer face has a nice fullness, the temples don't look like they are hollowing, the cheeks are starting to deflate, etc... then you can probably wait.  I have some patients come in once every six months to a year to add a vial after we acheived the level of correction that they were looking for.

Sculptra causes collagen production which can last for years.  But that doesn't mean that your face will not lose volume.  We can't stop the aging process altogether.  So you will continue to lose a little volume every year and your facial tissues will continue to develop laxity.  If you continue with a volumizing trreatment like Sculptra and develop a maintenance plan to build collagen more superficially (e.g. peels, lasers, Ulthera, skincare), then you can really slow down the appearance of the aging process.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

When do I need Sculptra?

+1
Hi Chey.  Every patient will be a bit different but our expectation for patients is that they will need about 2 vials of Sculptra every year after the initial 6 month program.  Our best tool for determining how far patients have come and when they need to come back in is the before and after photos.  Did you have these done by your injector?  If so, you may want to check them to see how you look and if you have gone back to baseline.  

We think 2 vials per year in maintenance is a good rule of thumb.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD