Can sclera show from lower bleph get better with time?

I had a quad bleph and lower fat grafting about 2 months ago. One eye has a bit of sclera showing, not too bad, but noticeable to me. Can it get better after any residual swelling goes away?

You may have some scleral show from swelling after the surgery.

+2

As the swelling resolves, the lid may come up.  In the meantime, you can massage the lid up with your fingers which often will help decrease the scleral show. If the scleral show is not severe, it should get better with time.  

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scleral show

+2

It takes several months for all of the swelling to go down and there is a chance that your scleral show will diminish. Discuss with your plastic surgeon your concerns and what you can do in terms of massage to help diminish it. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Scleral show

+2
The short answer is yes and I would wait for all the swelling to go down. I would also bring it to the attention of my surgeon and get his opinion. He will know what he did and what the long term prognosis shouold be Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Scleral show after lower bleph can get better with time.

+1

Yes, this can improve as the swelling goes down.  You should discuss this with your surgeon, but massage can help.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Yes it can get better. Hopefully it will resolve. You should be seeing your surgeon in follow-up to make sure that nothing else is going on. Good luck.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

SCLERAL SHOW AFER LOWER BLEPH

+1
Scleral show, or rounding / pulling downward of the lower eyelids, sometimes is associated with lower eyelid procedures.  Minor scleral show will usually go away as swelling subsides.  I recommend massaging upwards and to the side several times a day.  Some doctors recommend taping the eye upwards in the corner at night depending on the severity.  Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scleral show after blepharoplasty.

+1
Scleral show after blepharoplasty will improve with time IF due to swelling. If too much skin was removed it will require a cheeklift often done by a very experienced surgeon. 

Scleral Show After Blepharoplasty. Will it get better.

+1
Scleral show after blepharoplasty can occur and you should be evaluated by your surgeon.  He may recommend taping or massaging to help relieve this.  Very small amounts of scleral show may improve with more time.  If there is no improvement you may require reoperation with a canthal tightening/repositioning procedure and possible mid face lift as well.  

Good Luck, 

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

Increased scleral show or dry eye after lower blepharoplasty

+1
Hopefully your issue will get better with time.  If it doesn't, you may want to consider having a cheek lift and canthal repositioning.  Make sure to stay in close contact with your surgeon during the healing period and let him or her know about your issues.

There are several conservative things that can be done before revisional surgery is contemplated.

If it comes time for a revision, make sure to choose a surgeon with a dedicated interest in the mid face and cheek lifts.

Brent Moelleken, MD

You are still early from all this surgery.

+1
So you will heal more and things will improve.  So the answer without examining you or seeing a photo is that yes, things generally do get better.  However, that does not mean it will resolve to your satisfaction.  If you are having dry eye symptoms, these benefit from treatment by a general ophthalmologist.  If your eye is comfortable but you do not like the appearance of the eyelid, it is reasonable to let things heal for another 6 months before deciding what to do next.