Is it safe to have rhinoplasty while being congested?

I have been congested for 12 days. Originally it was suspected to have been a sinus infection and I was on antibiotics for 10 days. Not much change as I'm still congested, blowing my nose all the time. Localized to primarily my left sinuses. Surgery for me is in a week and I've told my surgeons office. Is it safe to have rhinoplasty done when having sinus congestion?

Rhinoplasty while congested

+1

It is not a good idea for you to have any type of surgery requiring general anesthesia while you are congested. This is because general anesthesia will affect your lungs in a negative way. Although anesthesia effects on your lung are temporary, it is not in your best interest to have surgery when you are congested. Additionally, nasal surgery will further restrict your breathing during your early postoperative period making this surgery not appropriate while you are congested. Safety first.

Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty While Congested?

+1

It is probably better to reschedule your rhinoplasty. Congestion can make the surgery more challenging for the doctor and cause more swelling.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Nose congestion before rhinoplasty

+1

The congestion will not make a difference to the surgery, nor is it a risk to you.  However you can be sure that you will be more congested than normally is the case after the operation.  I think the decision is up to you.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Congested before rhinoplasty

+1

I would say that it would not be recommended to proceed with rhinoplasty surgery if you had an actual sinus infection. If you only have congestion with no nasal discharge, then I would leave the decision up to your surgeon. The congestion alone should not affect the outcome of your surgery.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon