What should I expect with Fillers under eyes- can it fill baggy loose skin?

the dr that did my Botox suggested fillers under the eyes. I have a little baggy loose skin and dark circles and "hollows" I guess is what you would call it. 1. Which product is best to use with the least side effects and how long will it last? 2. How much bruising should I expect and is there a way that Drs can inject to avoid swelling and bruising?

Fillers Are Great Under the Eyes

+1
Thanks for your question. Under-eye hollows are a common concern, and fillers for the area under the eye are a great way to help rejuvenate the area along with BOTOX Cosmetic. BOTOX is used primarily to reduce the crow's feet region, and fillers are used to reduce the hollow effect of the tear trough. BELOTERO BALANCE is my filler of choice for that area. It is a hyaluronic acid gel that is processed so that you should not get a "Tyndall" effect (a bluish tint that can be seen through the skin). Hyaluronic acids in the tear trough region can last up to a year. There are techniques using a blunt needle that can help reduce swelling and bruising. These effects shouldn't last more than a couple of days. Talk to your doctor about these options. Best wishes.

Best Under Eye Filler

+1
Great question. Hyaluronic acid fillers are an effective companion to Botox to improve the appearance of the eyes. While Botox weakens muscles responsible for crows feet and can lift the brow, fillers erase hollows and improve the contours of aging eyelids.

Belotero and Restylane are the two preferred fillers for under eye hollows. They usually last 6 to 9 months. We take several steps to minimize the risk of bruising including using a special needle called a cannula that is less traumatic to the tissues and icing the area before, during, and after treatment. You can also take arnica montana and should avoid any medications or supplements that thin the blood for 7-10 days before treatment.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under eye correction with fillers

+1
Hello Andrea.  Fillers under the eyes is definitely an excellent choice to treat volume loss.  Your physician will examine the elasticity of the skin and the volume loss.  

Belotero:  lasts approximately 4-6 months, excellent choice for firs time users of filler to the lower lid and with poor skin elasticity

Restylane: lasts approximately 9-12 months.  

Juvederm: lasts approximately 9-15 months.  This product draws a significant amount of water and is an excellent choice for volume loss, however, if you have poor skin elasticity (loose skin) this product will not be your best choice as it will give you more puffiness rather than an even fill to the hollowed area.   

John A. Ayala, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Filler Under the Eye

+1
Thank you for your question. Filler is a great way to treat volume loss under the eyes and cheek area. I would recommend talking with your provider about what types of filler they offer and how long each will last. Pricing will vary as well depending on the product you use. Bruising and swelling varies for each patient. You may have bruising for 1 to 2 weeks after your injections. Speak with your doctor about things your can do prior to your appointment such as starting on Arnica or discontinuing the use of other supplements you might be taking to reduce your risk of bruising.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

What to expect with under eye fillers

+1
Excellent question Andrea! Fillers are an excellent choice to treat the hollows under the eyes (tear trough deformities). The most commonly used fillers in this area are Restylane, Juvederm and Belotero. I usually determine which filler I use during the consultation. The choice of filler should be personalized based on each individuals needs and treatment goals. I also use a microcannula instead of a needle. Microcannulas are thin, plastic tubes which result in far less bruising and swelling than a conventional needle. Hope this helps answer your question!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Under Eye Injections

+1
Hi Andrea.  We prefer Restylane under the eyes as it is the right consistency for this area.  We also inject it deep "under the muscle" and you should ask whomever you choose if they are using this method.  A superficial type injection will result in more bruising, puffiness and also a less than ideal result.  

Our patients normally get between 1-2 CC's of the product and it lasts in the neighborhood of 9-12 months with longer duration associated with greater amounts of the product.  Swelling is present but usually mild and bruising is not very common with this injection.

Finally, it's difficult to know if you are a good candidate but we use a standard "pinch test" to help us answer that questions.  For the product to look good, there should not be a lot of excess skin under the eye and this skin should be relatively "elastic".  If you pinch the skin and it does not snap back quickly, but rather stays in a bunch under the eyes, then you may not be a good candidate.

For photos of Orange County, CA patients that have undergone tear trough injections under the eye at our office, click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane in the Tear Trough

+1
I like to inject Restylane into the tear troughs of my patients; I find that it causes less swelling than Juverderm and has a more natural look than Belotero. Restlyane under the eye can last anywhere from 6 months to a year depending on your body’s metabolism.

I use a cannula to inject so there is generally one insertion point. When you inject with a needle there are several injection sites causing more possibility of swelling, bruising and lumps and bumps under the eye.

I think the cannula method under the eye is superior to the needle method, the end result is much smoother with less bruising and swelling. I also use the Accuvein vein finder, this device allows me to see where the veins are under the skin therefor helping me avoid them and reducing the possibility of bruising.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to with plenty of experience treating under eye hollows for the most natural result.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers under eye area

+1
That is a very delicate area with the skin being very thin. There are many different fillers available and I definitely recommend a hyaluronic one like restylane,Belotero which if there is a problem, can usually be dissolved with an antidote.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fillers under eyes

+1
The most important part of fillers is the experience of your injector. For under the eyes I primarily use Restylane, though I have found that for a lot of people, building up the cheek area with Voluma helps alleviate the under eye problems too. So there are several options. Restylane can last for about 8-12 months under the eyes, but Voluma is supposed to last longer. Swelling and bruising can be minimized by injection technique, as well as pre-numbing the area with lidocaine with epinephrine. Some injectors may also opt to use cannulas to help minimize bruising and swelling too.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD