I want to narrow my bulbous tip and give me a more defined look. Am I a Candidate for Tip Plasty? (photo)

I have always wanted rhinoplasty to narrow my bulbous tip and give me a more defined look. My bridge or nostrils aren't overly wide in my opinion, so I'm hoping just a tip plasty would give me the results Ive always dreamed of. A subtle narrowing of my tip would be my primary goal.

Good candidate for a corrective rhinoplasty

Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a corrective rhinoplasty addressing your rounded and bulbous nasal tip establishing a new look that will complement your facial features pretty well. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Am I a Candidate for Tip Plasty?

Dear Serena,

Thank you for your question and photo.  Yes, a tip plasty will refine the nasal tip by removing excess cartilage, and thinning it slightly.  Don't over do it though.  

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tip plasty

A tip plasty is a good choice in your situation. The tip cartilage needs to be reduced and re shaped. It can be done either with open or closed rhinoplasty.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Am I a Candidate for Tip Plasty?

Yes, from the photos provided a Tip-plasty, instead of a full Rhinoplasty would be able to refine and thin your nasal tip.

Tip Plasty

Tip plasty is part of rhinoplasty in majority of patients. Rarely, it can be done on its own and mostly in secondary rhinoplasty. I would leave it to your surgeon to determine what needs to be done after carefull evaluation.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

tip-plasty for bulbous tip

Most patients require  undergoing a full rhinoplasty to make sure that components of the nose all balance with themselves, and the patient's facial features. There are a few patients who are able to undergo  a tip-plasty  when the remainder of the nose is quite acceptable. An in person consultation and examination in the 3-dimensional format and we required to determine whether or not a tip-plasty alone can be performed. Please see the link below for examples of patients similar to your own who have undergone a bulbous tip rhinoplasty in our practice

Tip plasty?

Without seeing more of your nose, it is difficult to say what you need. Certainly a tip plasty can be performed in some individuals as an isolated procedure.

Tip rhinoplasty options

If you're happy with your nostril width and the rest of your nose rhinoplasty surgery could be focused on giving you better tip definition.

An in person exam would allow for a better overall discussion, but there are several options when it comes to tip refinement.

You can read about some of these bulbous nose repair options at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Tipplasty

An in-person evaluation is best to fully evaluate your nose better, but based on the one photos you provided you appear to be a good candidate for enhanced definition of the nasal tip.  Sometimes less is more and it is important to maintain the balance of your nose with the rest of the face.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Best Tip-plasty for Giving Definition to Slightly Bulbous Nasal Tip

Hi Serena,

A rhinoplasty will help you achieve your desired results of a refined nasal tip.  Subtle tip-plasty should be "just what the patient ordered."  We just operated on a patient this morning with a nose very similar to yours.  By removing a very small amount of nasal cartilage, using sutures in the cartilage to reshape and refine it, and by defatting your tip your nose should look beautiful!  Most importantly you need to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully, one that shares your artistic vision and rhinoplasty goals.  Good luck and be well.  (See web reference below for more on subtle rhinoplasty).

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon