Chin implant, Osteotomy Or genioplasty Best option for me? Especially worried about mento labial fold. (photos)

Hello doctor, Even though i do have some malocclusion my objective is to improve the look of my chin. My preference goes to a chin implant because it is cheaper and easier. But will a chin implant give my face what it needs? Will it not look like just an oddly shaped extension on a receded chin? Since my chin is receded I am especially worried about my already quite present mento labial folds getting too deep giving me an ugly shaped chin. (I am a male 20 years old)

Chin

+3
yes, you have a good perspective. IF you choose not to solve the lower jaw recessiveness, then when doing a genioplasty one must be careful to avoid trying to 'idealize' the profile with a 'chin only ' procedure. The look from the 'front' has to consider how 'tapered/narrow' the jaw is; or you end up with an unnatural look. Implants do not offer the 3D benefit of the sliding genioplasty, especially with respect to the fold. The sliding genioplasty can better adjust for the fold to avoid excessive deepening and also one can 'combine' a small implant under the fold with the sliding genioplasty, depending upon the lower incisor position

Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin Augmentation

+2
A chin augmentation would improve the profile immensely and would not be an odd extension on a receded chin. Computer imaging during consultation will be helpful to show you how the implant would look. The labiomental fold will not be a problem. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Genioplasty or chin implant?

+1
Given your photos, both an implant and a genioplasty are good options.
Discuss this with the surgeon you consult - based on the look you want and  the surgeon's examination.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Chin implant, Osteotomy Or genioplasty Best option for me? Especially worried about mento labial fold.

+1
Hello and thanks for your question.
In our practice we use both options.
An exam is needed to assess the anatomy and discuss the pros and cons of chin implant vs genioplasty.
Dr Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

+1
   A chin implant would offer a nice benefit without much expense.

Los Angeles, CA.....

Chin implant

+1
On profile view you show a clear need for a chin augmentation. If the right chin is chosen and placed against the bone as it should be your result should be terrific. I see your concern about the lip chin crease but I still think you could tolerate a small chin implant and look totally natural. The procedure takes 20 minutes under local anesthesia in the office and is very easy to recover from. For patients with normal occlusion and no other facial disharmony I consider sliding genioplasties much more painful, much riskier and of no benefit over a simple implant placement. Implants come in all sizes and shapes and actually give you more to work with than a sliding genioplasty which has a long and painful recovery period. I, as like most plastic surgeons have done hundreds and hundreds of implants and very few sliding genioplasties.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

+1
 The primary goal of a chin implant is to give forward projection of the mandible  and accentuate the jawline. The secondary goal is to give a slight amount of width  and added height to the chin area.  Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination. a chin implant is inserted under local anesthesia through a sub mental approach. 

Labiomental Fold and Chin Augmentation

+1
It is important to remember that the labiomental fold is a fixed structure, it is not going to be brought forward whether you use an implant or a sliding genioplasty. The depth of the anterior mandibular vestibule (which is the primary source of the fold) will not change as the chin is brought forward. There are several strategies to deal with a deep labiomental fold in large chin augmentations including limiting the amount of the augmentation, keeping the implant low or opening a sliding genioplasty slightly and simultaneous fat grafting to the labiomental fold with the chin augmentation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Implant or Osteotomy?

+1
As you suggested the chin implant is an easier procedure and will give you the desired result. The mental crease will not be a problem if the work is done by an experienced surgeon.

Chin enhancement

+1
If you are not planning any future orthodontic procedures that might affect your result then all the procedures you have mentioned are excellent.  If you are planning future orthodontia then incorporating a genioplasty or osteotomy into that plan would be logical after cephalometric analysis.  Otherwise a chin implant is certainly easy

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon