Can I Have Oral Sedation for a Rhinoplasty or is Anesthesia my Only Option?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for well over 20 years and yes, you could have oral sedation but I'd ask why would you?  Oral sedation and IV sedation were the old ways Rhinoplasty was performed before the newer rapid acting anesthetics came on board and revolutionized the way Rhinoplasty is performed.  The most important aspect of any surgery is your safety and the number one priority for your safety is to secure the airway.  This is done with an ET tube or LMA both of which require a general anesthetic.  This is the only way to have a Rhinoplasty IMHO.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Oral Sedation for Rhinoplasty Not a Great Idea

+1

In many types of procedures, Rhinoplasty included, Anesthesia is your friend.  I prefer IV sedation for most cases, with Rhinoplasty as the exception.  Airway protection in the form of an endotracheal tube is preferable for most Rhinoplasty cases.  Anesthesia provides pain control and amnesia of the events that occur in the operating room.  If you aren't a candidate for anesthesia for health reasons, you probably aren't a candidate for Rhinoplasty.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

I.V. sedation vs general anesthesia during a rhinoplasty...

+1

IV sedation during a rhinoplasty is usually not the recommendation of most plastic surgeons. With general anesthesia the airway is protected from any blood that may drip down the back of the throat. Also, you will be in a relaxing state of sleep, so you won't feel anything that is happening during surgery. When you wake up it will all over and you won't remember a thing. With IV sedation, you may move some which could disrupt surgery and you may start coughing which could endanger the airway. Safety is always very important, so discuss your options with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. 

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Both can be done

+1

It really depends on mutiple factors, what your urgeon, anesthesiologis are comfortable with and the trent in the facility. The type and duration of nose work is also a factor. So the the answer to your question is yes, it can be done either way, but it is your surgeon who wil decide what is apprpriate.

Anesthesia for rhinoplasty

+1

This is a good question. The type of anesthesia depends upon a discussion you have with your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Most cases are performed under general anesthesia but sometimes intravenous sedation is used for limited work on the tip or certain cases of minor revisions. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.drchaffoo.com/surgery/rhinoplasty.cfm