I Am Taking Oral Birth Control Should I Stop It the Pills Before my Tummy Tuck?

Oral contraceptives and surgery

+1

oral contraceptives and surgery

as you can see..  the answers are not totally straight forward. there is a general risk scale that can assess your personal risk..  history of clots.  family history , weight etc.

how long have you been on the pills..  the type of contraceptives..  

discuss these multiple factors with your surgeon

Birth control pills

+1

I recommend my patients stay on their contraceptives.  The risk of a clot from the birth control pills is small, but on the other hand you don't want an unexpected pregnancy.  Best to check with your surgeon.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck & the pill

+1

I do not ask my patients to stop taking the pill prior to tummy tuck, unless they or a family member has previously had a blood clot.

James

James Southwell-Keely, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Birth Control and Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+1

Because of the increased risk of blood clots most doctors would have you stop your birth control prior to surgery. It is also important to know that antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness of birth control so you must be careful. You should discuss this with your surgeon and follow their instructions, but you should be off at least a month but if not, than a couple of weeks.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Birth Control and Tummy Tuck

+1

Every surgeon has a different opinion regarding this.  I usually do not recommend that you stop taking your birth control medication prior to surgery.  There is a slight increase chance of blood clots in women that take birth control.  This can easily be prevented by early walking after surgery. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1

This is a question best answered by your surgeon.  Birth control pills are a minor contributor to deep venous thrombosis risk.  Unless you have other risk factors, they probably do not need to be stopped, but it's likely you won't need them because having tummy tuck is excellent birth control for at least a few weeks.

Steve Laverson, MD

Should Birth Control Pills be Stopped Prior to a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Safety should always be the primary concern in any elective surgery. Since it is known that taking birth control pills increases the risk of developing deep venous thrombosis (DVT) which can travel to the lung and be potentially life threatening, especially in a larger surgical procedure like a tummy tuck, it is recommended in the valid scientific literature that the BCP should ideally be stopped for 1 month prior to surgery and for 2 weeks postoperatively. This should be discussed with your plastic surgeon and an alternative method of birth control should also be discussed with your gynecologist.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

When to stop birth control pills prior to an abdominoplasty

+1

There are several risk factors for the development of deep vein thrombosis one of which is hormone replacement therapy and birth control pills.  If possible it is best to stop taking any type of estrogen product for 2 - 4 weeks prior to surgery. 

Discontinuing birth control pills lowers risk of blood clots

+1

DVT, or deep vein thrombosis, is a serious and dangerous complication of many large surgeries like a tummy tuck.  I have my patients discontinue birth control pills at the time of their last period before surgery (about one month).  Although it should go without saying, we advise patients to use an alternative form of birth control during this time.  Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

BCP and Tummy Tuck

+1

Blood clots in the legs that might travel to the lungs is a serious concern after surgery and is of particular concern after tummy tucks.  I generally advise my patients to discontinue BCP, if possible, one month prior to surgery.  This is something you should discuss with your surgeon as well as any other precautions that will be taken to reduce your risk of postop blood clots.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon