Options for Revision After Full Tummy Tuck

What was supposed to be tightly pulled skin with possibility of low t-scar became this: lax skin and high scar. I will need help to fix this - what are my options? I know about a year of wait time. Relationship with the surgeon that did this to me is beyond repair after another surprising result - after scar revision. Check the stretch mark position before and after - does not it look strange? I wonder what was done to me. Would appreciate hypotheses and repair options for improved look.

You need a consultation

+2

I would prefer not to put in print what I think of this operation. You did not have a full tummy tuck -- just a small amout of skin removed and the umbilicus cut around and put a little higher. As Dr Walek said, abdominoplasties are not simple operations and the surgeon needs to correctly evaluate your problem. It appears as if  you still have plenty of skin and could be improved. But this time go to an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon.

Tummy Tuck Revision

+2

Thanks for posting the before and after pictures - it makes the Q&A more informative.  Without the operative details, it is hard to understand what happened during your surgery.  As you point out, an skin mark that was just above your belly button should be in your lower abdomen (much below the belly button) after a tummy tuck.  Why it did not change position and why you have a high vertical incision is very suspicious.  That this point, you are correct that you should wait 6 months to a year for a revision to allow the tissues to settle and the swelling to resolve.  At that point, you will likely need a revision tummy tuck.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Options for post op tummy tuck

+1

Dear Tony,

I'm so sorry. Looks like you had a panniculectomy, not an abdominoplasty. It is unfortunate your surgeon did not communicate this prior to your surgery date. I would have to examine you to determine if a revision could be possible.

Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Revision Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

It is very hard for me to say what the next step would be without examining you and seeing what was performed (your operative report).  Yes, allow yourself time to heal (1 year for the scars to mature and fade) and then go and  see a board certified plastic surgeon who SPECIALIZES in abdominal surgery to get an opinion.  Tummy tuck surgery is very tricky and experience is key!

Tummy tuck revision

+1

The tummy tuck you apparently received involved a lower incision, some excision of skin from the lower abdomen, and small tightening of the upper abdominal skin.

The factors that resulted in the scars you currently have were fully predictable preoperatively given the type of tummy tuck chosen.

When considering a revision, consult with very experienced board certified plastic surgeons who will honestly assess you, not alarm you unnecessarily, and help you get the best result possible.

Brent Moelleken, MD

+1

I see no options to be truthful. Seeing the posted befores I most likely would have declined to do a tummy tuck upon you. The photos showing the results show a poorly planned operation. The verticle infra umbilical scar is fromthe position of the pre surgery umbilicus. The marked stretch mark is in the same locale but in the before photos the extra skin is removed or tighten. The horizontal scar is much to high. Sorry for your issues. 

Abdominoplasty vs Tummy Tuck

+1

I always find it unfortunate that we still talk about tummy tucks! It seems to me that this minimizes the complexity and extensive nature of the procedure. True, there are a range of deformities that require a range of surgical options but a great deal of experience is requires to determine the proper selection of procedures and execute those procedures well. The photos you show pre-op demonstrate a common situation that is deceptively difficult to correct. Your low BMI also make the procedure technically demanding in my experience.

First and foremost consult a board certified Plastic Surgeon who does a good deal of body contouring. Be clear about your expectations and accept the scaring and possible complications. Revision will be much more difficult than the first time around and you will have to accept the limitations.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon