Options to Remove Fat That Intervenes with Muscle Tissue, I.e. Coolsculting, Exilis Etc. What Are My Alternatives?

I had a surgeon tell me that the fat on my cheeks (deformed fat, necrosis, caused by lipodissolve) cannot be removed by liposuction because of the interfering muscle. He also mentioned something about the subcutaneous layer. If this is true, that the fat I want does indeed intervene with muscles, what are my alternatives in getting those adipose cells removed? Coolsculpting, exilis, etc?

Neither Exilis nor CoolSculpting for Deformity from Lipodissolve

+2

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation. Mesotherapy / lipodissolve type treatments are difficult to control and your outcome attests to that. 

Correcting a deformity as you have described yours with external procedures is a questionable option at best. These technologies aren't sophisticated enough at this time to be useful or even necessarily safe with your underlying problems. 

Rather than remove fat, have you discussed with your surgeon the possibility of fat grafting or gel fillers to help balance the cheek plane?

Not seeing photos, it is difficult to assess your problem, but you should proceed and cautiously. Where the existing fat is, where it has been destroyed, internal scarring, etc, all come into play and only a skilled surgeon would be able to attend to your problem correctly.

It is a terrible thing to discover what you wanted to help you look prettier instead damaged your looks. Thank you for sharing the potential problems that injected chemical attempts to reduce fat can create. Your question may have saved others from taking a similar path to similar problems.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Fat without muscle

+1

We have been performing Coolsculpting since FDA approval three years ago.

Coolsculpting should not be used on muscle .

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting fat removal is not used on the face

+1

There are no applicators that would fit on the face for fat reduction on the face. CoolScupting is not FDA cleared for facial fat removal. Exilis may or may not reduce fat. The radiofrequency devices and ultrasonic devices such as Pelleve, Thermage and Ultherapy are not known to consistently and safely reduce fat on the face.

Ronald Shelton, MD