Options for Lower Eyelids Hanging Too Low?

My lower eyelids hang too low showing the white of my eyes way below the coloured iris. This is not normal. My eyes get sore and red a lot and I have wrinkles under my eyes way to early.

What is this problem and can I get it fixed through my doctor?

Canthoplasty and/or canthopexy

+1

If the lower eyelids are hanging too low, you will need a canthoplasty and/or a canthopexy. These are incisions made towards the outer corner of the eye, which will allow the lower eyelid to be changed, tucked up, and put back into a normal position and get rid of the scleral show. These surgeries can be rather difficult, and they do tend to change the shape of the eye, making the eyelid more almond-shaped. Make sure you are going to a surgeon who has done many of these type of procedures such as an oculoplastic surgeon.

Your hanging lower lids should be evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon.

+1

The rejuvenation of your lower eyelids is a difficult task in anyone's hands. A board certified oculoplastic surgeon would be the best place to start.

Best regards. 

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pictures would be helpful for answering this question.

+1

Dear Billabongirl

You are describing some type of lower eyelid support problem with the lower eyelid sagging down to create inferior scleral show (showing the white of the eye under the iris).

These types of situations usually have a lack of bone projection at the top of the cheek and a relative prominence of the eye.

The eyelid skin collects in lines in these sagging lower eyelids. Many would propose addressing this type of problem with a lower eyelid tightening procedure. This may or may not be appropriate for you.

Much depends on the nature of the cheek bone anatomy and the prominence of the eye. Who ever you decide to see, make sure you understand what they are proposing to do and that they can show you before and after photos of patient who had what is proposed.

Dr. Steinsapir

Loose lower lid a difficult problem

+1

Having the white of your eye showing on your lower lids can be a sign of a loose lower lid that may need tightening. I assume from your post that you have not had any eyelid surgery in the past, as this can be a complication of a lower lid blepharoplasty in a patient with a previously lax lid that did not have a lid tightening procedure performed at the same time.

If you have never had eyelid surgery before, proceed with great caution. I would first recommend a consult with an Ophthalmologist to evaluate your chronic eye irritation, and then consult with a surgeon well versed in lower lid surgery. You will likely require some sort of lid tightening procedure with little or no skin removal.

Robert Steely, MD