Do I Have Any Options for Improving Bad Temporal Hairline Facelift Scar Placement?

I had a SMAS facelift w/ fat grafting on 5/20/11. I am 2-wks post-surgery. Had immediate swelling/bruising which has subsided but is still present. My primary concern is the placement of the temporal hairline incisions. The scars are thick/lumpy/gathered in a prominent position. Although I have long hair, w/ normal movement my temporal hairline is usually visible. I removed the bandages yesterday and am in shock. My original surgeon is a long distance away. I am in the Los Angeles area.

Scar Removal

+1

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for advice on how this can be optimized for healing, and consider another treatment only when the time is optimal.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

+1

Let the healing complete in 6-9 months so that you can make a better judgement about the scars. Occasionally, the scars are lighter than the surrounding skin and other options are available to camouflage it.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

A tincture of time...

+1

Hi there.  Give your incisions some time to heal. 

Of course its hard to tell strictly on photos, but your incisions appear to be "just right" for having undergone a facelift two-weeks ago.  The height and location of the incisions appears to be reasonable.   Incisions and their resultant scars go through a maturation process that can take up to 12 months.  I'm sure your scars will look great in a few weeks; so I'd suggest giving them some time.   

In the in-term, as I'm sure your provider has suggested, you may want to consider using a silicone based scar ointment/cream and some sunscreen to the area to help the scars heal and avoid any colour changes that may come from too much sun exposure - the sun can turn the scar dark.  Biocorneum is one of many options available.  Additionally, I'd suggest massaging the wounds to help them flatten and re-orient the collagen fibers.  You can massage the scars as often as you'd like - you won't hurt a thing.

All the best.

Michael G. Brandt, MD (retired)
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Temporal Scars after Facelift

+1

Kristy7, it has only been 2 weeks since your surgery, so the scars will surely improve. As the edema to the surrounding skin subsides the skin will look less gathered and thick. This make take several weeks to months to occur. The incision looks like it was placed just in front of the hairline. If this was done correctly, hair should grow through the scar and make it less noticeable with time as well. If there is still a problem with the scar after a year, you can consider scar revision or follicular unit hair transplantation to disguise it.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon